Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Need help!

This is a discussion on Need help! within the Dual Purpose forums, part of the Types of Bikes category; I am looking to buy an enduro in the near future. I plan on using this bike to travel to ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2006   #1

Default Need help!

I am looking to buy an enduro in the near future. I plan on using this bike to travel to work. I also want to use this bike to travel up and down the logging roads in Wisconsin. I am leaning to a 400cc are large bike and the make not certain yet. I would like to find out what type of milage can be expected for these bikes if possible. The few dealers I have talked to never gave me a straight answer. Also I am average build 5'9" and 190#, will the 400cc be able to handle highway speed (60+ mph) safely?
Thanks,
Walleye35
jorge p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006   #2

Default Need help!

My Kawi KLR650 gets 45+mpg, and has the added feature of a six gallon tank so I can go over 300mi between fill-ups! It will run down the highway at 70mph ALL DAY.
CPUcate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006   #3

Default Need help!

My Honda XR650L originally cruised at about 70-75 mph and I was getting just over 60 mpg. I ride mine on the street, only to get to the track or trails so I tossed the 15-tooth c/s sprocket and dropped to a 13. It now cruises comfortably at 55-60 mph but my mpg is down to about 40, in the woods and 45-50, on the road.

The Kawwie is kinda' like the Gold-Wing of dual-sports...if you're doing mostly long distance and very light off-road, that may be the best way to go. If you have any intentions at all of getting into any moderate to aggressive dirt riding, I'd recommend the Honda. Of all the big-bore (Big-4) dual-sports, the XR seems to be the most dirt-oriented.

For a mid-size (300-450cc), I'd suggest looking at Suzuki or if price and/or availability is no object, KTM. I dunno' what your logging roads are like but around here, they're pretty gnarly and would be considered rather aggressive off-road.
mastersapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006   #4

Default Need help!

The roads are not that bad. There might be some mud and a few ruts. You can normally drive a car or truck down these roads on any given day. These roads are located on state land. The rules in this area states that only street legal equipment can be driven on state land. Like I said I plan on using this bike mainly to set to work. I also have a part time job that requires me to travel to mainly local schools for sporting events. I normally drive a F250 diesel. This will be a break in the cost of gas and allow me to play some in the woods.
jorge p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006   #5

Default Need help!

A 400 should be okay on the road but it sounds like you might be further ahead to go bigger. It sounds like you'll be on the road alot and the Kaw would likely be more comfortable and if necessary, it oughta' make a good pack-mule.
Nokaraju R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006   #6

Default Need help!

I have a BMW G650XChallenge. It rides at 75mph with ease and does great in the desert. It has ABS braking that I can turn off for off-roading. It also gets around 50mpg
David V is offline   Reply With Quote