Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Cycle Chaos > Cyclechaos Forums > Types of Bikes > Dual Purpose > Need input...Which Bike to Buy

Need input...Which Bike to Buy

This is a discussion on Need input...Which Bike to Buy within the Dual Purpose forums, part of the Types of Bikes category; Hi, this looks like a great forum. I'm from the California desert and have ridden/raced bikes for many years now. ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2006   #1

Default Need input...Which Bike to Buy

Hi, this looks like a great forum. I'm from the California desert and have ridden/raced bikes for many years now.
I'm considering the purchase of a dual purpose machine and
hope to get some useful info on a few that I have my eye on.
It boils down to the Honda XR650L, Kawasaki 650KLR or Suzuki DR650. They all look like great bikes but I'm kind of leaning toward the Honda. I'm plan on commuting and off road riding. I'd like to get some input from others that own or have owned any of these machines as to reliability, handling etc. I'm a bit compulsive and plan to purchase within the next few days.
Thanks
priscilla p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006   #2

i've got no personal experience with any of them, but i've heard really good things about the klr650. one of the instructors of my MSF course owned one, and he loved it.
salvador0516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006   #3

I'de rate Honda #1 in reliability Kawi #2. Suzi #3. Kawi's advantage come from the larger 6 gallon fuel tank wich allows you to travel approx 300 miles between fill-ups. I believe Clark makes an aftermarket larger tank for the honda though. My choice was the Kawi when I bought!
swapan42k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006   #4

I own an '08 XR650L and I did a lot of research, before deciding on it. Everything I could find, seemed to declare the Honda as the best in its class. Of the three, it is probably the most dirt-oriented and for a mere pittance, can be tweaked enough to soundly trounce its pure off-road brothers. I'd say that if you're looking at purely street and a few dirt roads, go with the Kawwie...if you're looking at doing some street but a lot of mediocre off-road stuff, check out the Honda and Suzuki...if you want something that'll comfortably do street but you also want to do some aggressive off-road riding, go with the Honda.
wendy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006   #5

The KLR650 is one of those bikes that doesn't do anything great however, everything it does it does well and it is a very reliable machine that should give you many years of enjoyment. In contrast, the Honda and Suzuki are more dirt oriented and far less capable of touring than the KLR. There are a lot of riders using the KLR for long distance touring and it does it quite well.
marilyn m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006   #6

I lot of the guys I dualsport with have the KLR 650. I am constantly amazed were a good rider can take that bike off-road. Not to mention ride the same bike to Toronto from Vancouver or up to Alaska.

I personally went for a TE 610 Husqvarna enduro, fuel injected, 309 lb and 50 hp. (Not as popular or bullet proof as the bikes on your list.)
kjhfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006   #7

Those are the three kings... i have yet to hear too many agree on that debate, XR, KLR, or DR. I think people stick to these three over the husqy and the KTMs because of the availability of parts and stuff... if you are touring at all, thats a big deal. im interested to see what others think. i would love to get my hands on any one of em!
munchahorousrex is offline   Reply With Quote