Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Cycle Chaos > Cyclechaos Forums > Types of Bikes > Dual Purpose > There should be a dual purpose board

There should be a dual purpose board

This is a discussion on There should be a dual purpose board within the Dual Purpose forums, part of the Types of Bikes category; There really should be :)...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2006   #1

Default There should be a dual purpose board

There really should be :)
Blue Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006   #2

Let me see if I can relocate you to the ideas area. Please stand by!
finalheaven0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006   #3

The difference between Motocross and dual purpose is the same as the difference between cruiser and dual purpose.

A good dual purpose bike will run an Interstate at 80 and/or run a gravel road with high water crossings.

Motocross is off road

Cruiser is on road

Dual purpose does both and a good one does both well.

Dual purpose bikes are extremely popular in Europe/Africa/South America etc. yet have never taken off in the US because the large manufacturers don't want to spend the money to make them DOT approved unless they can sell a 100,000 machines. All Japanese manufacturers make dual purpose bikes that are NOT sold in the US although I think that will change. Despite this BMW and KTM stil make an American model dual purpose.

We are the guys who do what the rest of you dream about :D I just got back from a ride to Costa Rica where a dual purpose truly rules <thumbs up>

Questions?
Old 01-27-2006   #4

shifty has agreed to moderate this forum and help to build it into a dual purpose hangout. Thank you Mecasa for giving us the idea for the forum and if you know some other dual purpose riders bring them on over. If you ever want to help out moderating give a holler.
xjmox14x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006   #5

Good idea! :) The dual sport thing is gainin' popularity.

For me, it was gettin' to be that, or nothing. I've always been primarily the MX type, though I can also get into some cross-country stuff. I have my own practice track but after awhile, the track thing gets a bit old. The lumber companies have bought-up and closed-off most of the local riding areas but even when they were open, the time and hassle of transport and travel, ate-up half of the day.

I reluctantly decided to get another dual sport (had one in the early '80s), mostly to ride to and on the public ATV/Bike trails. It was mostly out of desperation, I figured the trails would be way too tame and boring but there are quite a few, that were actually a blast to ride! Still, being used to big bore MX 2-strokes, the big bore dual sport was coming up way short.....:o....so now, I wanna' load-up and haul my MX bike to the trails and really try 'em out. :D Ya' know....there's just no winnin'. :D
Siobhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006   #6

Two of the last three bikes I've owned have been KLR650's. Slow and steady in the dirt, but you'll get there.
Pat B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006   #7

Of course there are dual-sports, or enduro's, in the States!

One of my personal favorites is the Suzuki DR650SE. I'd buy one in a minute. In fact, it's on my sort list for my next bike.

There are some great D-S's out there and they would make great commuters!

Nuff said!

olds_cool63
Custom Sportbike
Custom Cruiser
BOTH metric!

DON'T be a SQUIDIOT!
Kickstart Shovel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006   #8

Wonderful idea. Yet another board that I can quailfy for. I'm really liking it here. :D Thanks
HerbS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006   #9

KLR's a good ride but it's too tall for me, I never knew about the Suzuki but it seems like a decent ride. I damn sure would like an African Twin (not sold in states) or Transalp (sold in the states for 2 years).

But the bike I've always wanted is a tenere and they just made a new 660 (not sold in states)

I currently have a TDM850 with bush friendly mods. Damn nice ride but a mite heavy for real rough terrain and to complex for third world rides.Great for North America though.