Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Cycle Chaos > Cyclechaos Forums > Types of Bikes > Dual Purpose > What tires do you favor for street duty?

What tires do you favor for street duty?

This is a discussion on What tires do you favor for street duty? within the Dual Purpose forums, part of the Types of Bikes category; I love the Dunlop D607's, but I can wear them out in about a month. Marvelously sticky, but with the ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2006   #1

Default What tires do you favor for street duty?

I love the Dunlop D607's, but I can wear them out in about a month. Marvelously sticky, but with the attendant short lifespan. Right now the KLR is shod with some Kendas I got for almost free in a bro deal, but they're almost junk when they're new.

Anyone use the Metzlers? I can't remember the model, but they looked pretty good.
lazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006   #2

Well I don't know but when I rode dual purpose we used a half & half design....you don't change tires for street & trail, just your attitude.
DJ Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006   #3

My KLR is my commuter. I find that even the 80/20's wear out too fast. Even though the KLR is a dual-purpose bike, mine gets almost all it's miles on the road anymore. It's a supreme street bike.

I have a KDX for the dirt.
lazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006   #4

On my KTM, I put a Dunlop D606 on the back and I love it. It's fine on the street and great in the dirt and rocks. The only problem being that they are 170 bucks a piece here.

So a couple of days ago a put a Mitas E-09 on the back of my 610 Husky. It was 85 bucks. So far on the street and Hi-way it's been fine. Tomorrow I hope to see what it's like in the dirt and rocks. It's not as wide as the stock tire was, but it's got a nice tread pattern.

The Mitas E-09 and just below the Dunlop D606. I do 60 to 70 mph on both tires on street.
want2quit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006   #5

I've been running D606s on both ends of my XR650L. I mostly run it off road and very aggressively on hard to intermediate, rocky terrain. Any DOT tire is a compromise but the 606s perform better than I'd expected and the wear rate is good.
pedro b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006   #6

To North: Those look pretty knobby. I'm not a DS rider - just curious...How do they handle in twisty roads?
gemrtz56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006   #7

To North: Those look pretty knobby. I'm not a DS rider - just curious...How do they handle in twisty roads?

The tires handle on the road better than you would think by looking at them.

If the roads are dry they are fine. I lean both bikes over a bit and do 70 plus mph on them. If it's wet, I take it easy.

Some guys I ride with can real push them on the road. I keep up (sometimes), but I am riding on my edge.

There's twisty Hi-way north of Vancouver along the ocean were the coast mountains are. It's called the "Sea to Sky" Hi-way. Anyways guys do 80 mph on it with their DOT knobbies.
CPUcate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006   #8

Thanks! Kind of a deposit into the brain housing group for an upcoming rat bike project.
eastendboy is offline   Reply With Quote