Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

XT550 too tall?

This is a discussion on XT550 too tall? within the Dual Purpose forums, part of the Types of Bikes category; I've been looking for a project bike for a while and I found one, the price was right, the repairs ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2006   #1

Default XT550 too tall?

I've been looking for a project bike for a while and I found one, the price was right, the repairs needed were in my skillset (pretty vast) and budget (pretty slim).
It was a 1983 Yamaha XT550, according to the ad, both tires were flat, needed a decent amount of TLC, but it ran. After getting photos, I checked it out in person, tried it on for size, made sure it ran and was free of those little defects that are likely to kill me -- bent frame and such. Then took it home.
Well, I've done enough TLC to take it for a quick ride last night, when I discovered that it's really tall.
I can probably find a replacement rear shock to take the extra couple of inches I need out -- I haven't figured out if the preload can be adjusted enough to suit my short legs, but I don't think so. An inch, maybe, 3-4 inches is asking alot.
But if I replace the shock, I loose suspension travel and possibly get a really stiff ride.
Likewise, I can probably replace the front fork legs, but I end up with the same problem.
I might try relocating the shock mount. Thing is when I started welding, I decided I wouldn't weld anything that if I don't do a good enough job, will kill me. At least nothing that I would be surprised to find out, bad exhaust work will kill me, but I should know about it long before it does. That was about two years ago. I'm confident in my skill, but not that confident to weld a shock mount. And I still lose suspension travel.
So I'm thinking perhaps swapping wheels is the better route.
Does anyone know of a wheel interchange guide anywhere online?
Can I locate a rim size I'm looking for and have the existing hubs put on the rims?
Is there another route I'm not thinking of that you'd recommend?

Thanks.
turkus07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006   #2

Default XT550 too tall?

Ah nuts. Well, it needs new handlebars, I'll put those on this weekend, try riding it through some trails and see if I can deal with it, I guess I could always screw some extensions on the soles of my boots...
Well, I guess considering that so far I've put a whole $7 over the purchase price into it, I won't be too disappointed if I sell it for a profit and try to buy something that fits me.
I'll admit that it's been fun so far, normally I get a "oh dear, what the hell did I get my sorry ass into, I can't do this..." (sanitized to comply with FCC regulations in the unlikely event this is broadcast) stage, and that didn't happen yet. I almost always get through that stage, but it didn't happen, maybe it's Murphy's law, when little thing goes right, something big will go wrong in the end.
Old 02-06-2006   #3

Default XT550 too tall?

:) Well good luck on it and I hope it works out for you, if you decide to relocate the rear shock please post some pics of your fab work. I would be interested in seeing them.

But ya, a 550 is a big bike for a lot of people.
teeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006   #4

Default XT550 too tall?

You ain't kiddin'. I'm a little over 6' and strained myself more than once on my XT. Don't even ask about the failed kick start attempts - OUCH!

Would it be possible to put some sort of limiting strap on the back suspension like the snowmobiles use. Since you need new handlebars anyway consider a riser extension with offset. Then you could drop your forks thru the triples a little bit. Just remember you're putting the front tire that much closer to teh fender (OTB club!)

Good luck,
Dolllar Bill
Jeffrey S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006   #5

Default XT550 too tall?

You don't need to shorten the front forks, you can loosen the tubes and let them drop down and retighten. I've done it with a XT600 which I imagine is the same setup.
Mermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006   #6

Default XT550 too tall?

can you take the seat apart, trim the foam about 3 inches and then put the seat back together?
cash4pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006   #7

Default XT550 too tall?

Check and see if you can find a subframe lowering kit for it.
liloofar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006   #8

Default XT550 too tall?

I didn't know there was such a thing as a sub frame lowering kit. I'll check into that.
can you take the seat apart, trim the foam about 3 inches and then put the seat back together?Yes, that's the cheap way out, an electric carving knife and a bit of patience. The problem is it's a one-way trip and if I find that the seat is too hard, that would mean buying a new seat or carving new foam.

Failed kick-starts? Well, no bone-shattering has occurred yet, BUT, I forgot to turn the gas on last weekend to load it up on the trailer (tilt-bed, easiest to ride it up the incline), well after about two kicks, I break a sweat. And since it wouldn't start, there's no point in taking it to the trails. So I spent 10 friggin' minutes kicking that thing over before I realized I'm an idiot. In my own defense, my other bike has a vacuum petcock. I've gotten a little too used to that nice little feature.

Progress so far: I've taken it out on the trails twice, I can live with it, perhaps, or it might kill me too. I had an incident where I needed to stop quick on a slope, I pulled in the clutch and brake hard, my right foot still on the foot pedal, I put my left foot down, down, down, hey! where's the ground? Then jumped off mid-fall, picked myself up and killed the still running drive-wheel engaged engine.

I'll give the fork-dropping a try, but I don't think I'll stick with it. But I'll try it, cause hey, it's free. I installed a street-style front fender, (mounted on the lower shocks) so this will probably go quickly back to stock. The fender wasn't very expensive, but there's not a lot of clearance to begin with.

Seems like it's doable with the YZ250f http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/arc.../t-442158.html

Did the XT550 share the same swing-arm with any other bikes? Since it was only around for two years, I think I might be better off looking for one under several model names. Or am I misunderstanding how a lowering kit works?

Might also get brave and find a salvage swing arm and start hacking and welding.

Relocating the shock mounts is probably possible, but I can't see it changing things by more than half an inch, which is a lot of work.

Chopping up the seat is very appealing.
Old 02-10-2006   #9

Default XT550 too tall?

I deal a lot with dual sport bikes. They are too tall for a lot of people, so we have obtained 2-3 inches by shaving seat foam. Since you will end up with less cush for the tush, I recommend getting the best firm foam you can get from your auto/ bike upholsterer. Good luck.
Bryce K is offline   Reply With Quote