Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Cycle Chaos > Cyclechaos Forums > Types of Bikes > Sportbikes > health insurance, racing or riding anyone lose theirs

health insurance, racing or riding anyone lose theirs

This is a discussion on health insurance, racing or riding anyone lose theirs within the Sportbikes forums, part of the Types of Bikes category; I have my health insurance through my wifes plan, so far they have covered my last batch of hospital bills ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2007   #1

Default health insurance, racing or riding anyone lose theirs

I have my health insurance through my wifes plan, so far they have covered my last batch of hospital bills from my crash at the race track this fall, just over $20 grand so far. I told them I got hurt in practice, which is true, morning warm up but I am wondering if they can refuse coverage because I am racing. I know that the AMA did a article this month on riders who had insurance but when the bills came the insurance company did not pay. I was wondering if anyone here on the board had any first hand experience with this or at least that of a close friend that could shed some light on it. I do know that with out health insurance my racing days would be over...Bob
Wendy S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007   #2

You need to get a copy of your specific terms and conditions as well as exclusions for you policy. I have heard some restrict coverage for certain dangerous activities, and Bike racing would be one. But read your specific plan to what it says.
Royale162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007   #3

check the certificate of coverage for exclusions....
beesh lii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007   #4

I broke my collar bone a few years ago highsiding (racing a mini moto), while I was in the hospital I told the doctor how it happened, and he told me not to mention it again and that i had fallen down a flight of stairs, he said that my insurance might not cover it that way. So I did. I figured that way he would be guaranteed to get paid by the insurance company.
gary l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007   #5

RACING = no insurance
practice/trackdays = insurance
Yazdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007   #6

qkenuf4u said:
RACING = no insurance

that is what I was wondering, I can not see where my wife's policy exludes racing but they do limit what they call high risk activities, not sure what that means, so far they have paid but with the new race season coming up unless I need a life flight to the hospital I think I too will have just fallen down the stairs
Wendy S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007   #7

plasticweld said:
that is what I was wondering, I can not see where my wife's policy exludes racing but they do limit what they call high risk activities, not sure what that means, so far they have paid but with the new race season coming up unless I need a life flight to the hospital I think I too will have just fallen down the stairs

I would have her check with HR to find out what's included in High Risk.
Jenn B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007   #8

qkenuf4u said:
RACING = no insurance

You are thinking of MOTORCYCLE insurance.

Health insurance should cover you regardless but you must check your plan for exclusions.

I broke two bones in my arm last year racing. Health insurance covered it completely.

They sent me a subrogation form to see if it could be pinned on someone else's insurance but no go.
deftonyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007   #9

I might be wrong, but I believe in NY, u are not covered if your in an accident on a bike. I guess they claim your taking too high of a risk getting on a bike. :shrug I have some insurance w/ state farm to cover me if Im in the hospital. I have independent health.

Pretty f'ed up if u ask me. I dont know all the details. I really hate this state. :mad
hochus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007   #10

Brandon said:
I might be wrong, but I believe in NY, u are not covered if your in an accident on a bike. I guess they claim your taking too high of a risk getting on a bike. :shrug I have some insurance w/ state farm to cover me if Im in the hospital. I have independent health.

Pretty f'ed up if u ask me. I dont know all the details. I really hate this state. :mad
Each company can do what it wants.........I don't see why a state government would step in and tell them not to cover motorcyclists.
BETSY V is offline   Reply With Quote