Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Help Shaving Seat

This is a discussion on Help Shaving Seat within the Sportbikes forums, part of the Types of Bikes category; With all the great Advice given to me by you guys I decided to Shave my seat down to remedy ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2007   #1

Default Help Shaving Seat

With all the great Advice given to me by you guys I decided to Shave my seat down to remedy my flat-footing problem. The next problem is that Im really not a do-it-yourself kinda person adn almost always end up paying a local shop to get anything done on my bike because I am petrified of screwing somthing up. Shaving a seat down seems simple and I dont think its worth it to pay someone else to do it. So can anyone provide me with some kind of a tutorial for shaving my seat down. It's about the seat on the 00 F4.

Thanks in advance for the help
Raj Sarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007   #2

1.Get a industrial strength,or carpenter grade staple gun (of course staples....duh)

2.I used flate head screw driver to take off the seat cover staples.

3.remove the seat cover

4.take off as much seat as you want and test what works best with the bike( I would buy some upholstery foam to add in just in case you shave too much)

I actually added foam to my seat cause I didn't want to spend a bunch of money on a sargeant or corbin seat....I did a pretty good job I think and my seat is really comfy.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007   #3

Here you go

Seat Shaving Instructions (http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/howto/seatcut/)
ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007   #4

I hear an electric turkey carving knife is a preferred tool for this job.

If you take the seat to a car or furniture upholsterer I've heard they can do the job for between $15 and $30.

(I used a steak knife for my seat and it worked well enough. Also, when I reattached the seat cover I made sure to constantly pull the cover tight so that it would wrap the new contour, instead of having loose flappy stuff.)
Professor Wonderful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007   #5

put the cover in the dryer for a couple minutes before reattaching..

Most shops are robbing you for doing this simple job.. I had one shop want $80 to do mine.. I spent maybe 30 minutes on it.. about 20 minutes of that was removing the old staples.
2 legit 2 quit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007   #6

Just be patient while doing it yourself....go slow and steady so you don't end up with an uneven seat.
irepocars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012   #7

Mildew caused by the rains and moisture is another problem that car owners should contend with. You can remove this with a citrus-based cleaner or homemade solution. The hydrogen peroxide solution is quite effective. You can combine water and peroxide in varying quantities depending on the stain's gravity.

Thanks,

Mobilya, Mobilya Dekorasyon

Albion Boris is offline   Reply With Quote