Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Cycle Chaos > Cyclechaos Forums > Types of Bikes > Sportbikes > How can I make this street legal?

How can I make this street legal?

This is a discussion on How can I make this street legal? within the Sportbikes forums, part of the Types of Bikes category; any ideias how much work would it be to make this racing faring street legal??? cut some headlights and tail?? ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2006   #1

Default How can I make this street legal?

any ideias how much work would it be to make this racing faring street legal??? cut some headlights and tail?? I'm not sure how to do the seat??
Blown391TransAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006   #2

Headlights, brake lights, turn signals, license plate mount and light. I don't think you NEED a seat to be street legal, but your ass will thank you if you at least put some foam down.
plcweaver1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006   #3

There is a guy around here with race work on his bike. He bolted some headlights under the fairing. Like pia or something to that effect.
mystery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006   #4

Do you have a motorcycle inspection in FL ? For whatever reason I've sorta assumed that since you don't have to insure them you don't need em inspected . Well then , the answer to your question would be to do the absolute minimums required to pass an inspection : highbeam/lowbeam , indicators , brake/tail light and license plate light etc. .
As far as the seat goes , you can buy closed cell foam from Airtech etc that is formed and shaped to look decent - or you could go the budget racer's route and use bulk foam / camping pad - which tends to tear at the edges and looks kinda cack anyway . I've been using Kayak seat pads for the past few years : the comfort level isn't great but for less than an hour at a time it isn't that bad but I guess it helps if you're a fatass ... All my pics are on my work pooter but if you'd like I'll send you a pic of the pad .
thejeepyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006   #5

Only pic I have of it on this computer to show you my kayak seat :

FWIW , I have far less than the technical minimums to pass an inspection but it's a matter of who does it . I've found that having a good relationship with a chopper shop is a good thing as they let *minor* things like no working indicators , plate held on by safety wire , a pitiful joke of a brakelight etc slide ... However , the big issue is that what keeps John Law off your back isn't necessarily very safe or prudent . If I rode it more than a handful of times on the street a year I'd actually wire in the indicators and lights instead of just keeping an excuse handy . I wouldn't ride in traffic without visable indicators and tail light etc - even if they did work , the flushmounts are next to impossible for a cager to see etc but since the only times I ride it on public roads is pretty much on trips to the mountains here in NE or down South I don't worry about it ... bad me .
Zombie Slayer 1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006   #6

Okay I can see the stock plastic and everything in the background. So if you plan on riding on the street, why would you buy race plastic and then cut holes in it.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006   #7

you may just need a headlight, tail light, and license plate. Texas does not require turn signals and if you mount the license plate just under the tail light, just drill a small hole on the bottom of the tail light so that white light leaks through onto the plate.

also, knowing people helps....if you frequent a certain dealership, they will most likely "overlook" some things:redflip
skweekey01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006   #8
Joe

Check the laws in your state. In AZ, you don't need turn signals on a bike (but if you have them they must work) or a tag light. You must have a headlight, taillight, and a license plate that is visible from directly behind the bike from (I think) 35 feet at night and like 100 feet during the day.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006   #9

I just put a Piaa fog light under the front fairing and put an LED strip on the back for a taillight. No turn signals, In VA you don't have to have them...
Sue V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006   #10

I am currently involved in installing that same bodywork on my SV. The GP tails is nice... looks huge when you get it, but I had a bitch of a time trying to mount it. The mounting holes (or place for them) do not line up. When I looked at it, they were about a 1/2" off from side to side. So we ended up mounting one side and making up a bracket on the other side that was to short.

Anyway, the look is awesome so far, and it wasn't a huge deal. You can also buy the seat pad from LP for about $40 or something like that. That is precut with adhesive on the back to just stick on after you paint it.
Milwaukees Best is offline   Reply With Quote