Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Cycle Chaos > Cyclechaos Forums > Types of Bikes > Sportbikes > need some words of wisdom

need some words of wisdom

This is a discussion on need some words of wisdom within the Sportbikes forums, part of the Types of Bikes category; so im 18 and im verymuch in to cars and have recently started geting in motorcycles. i have ridden a ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2006   #1

Default need some words of wisdom

so im 18 and im verymuch in to cars and have recently started geting in motorcycles. i have ridden a 125 dirtbike but never anything bigger. i took the basic rider course and i got my m1 license and now its time to get a bike. im 6 feet tall and about 280 pounds. im a preety big guy. i was thinking about getting a honda cbr 600... what do you guys think??
Linus N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006   #2
Rig

A lot of folks like the CBR600 as a starter bike, just don't go overboard with the throttle. Respect its speed, and you'll do fine.
Rig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006   #3

I rode my HD Sportster for 6 years before I bought my CBR.I dont think that I would have been able to handle the CBR as well if I didnt wait on it.
How long have you been riding dirt bikes?
The CBR600RR is no joke.It is a fast azz bike.I will say that it is LOTS of fun to ride and it is in so many ways an awesome bike.As for a starter bike and I am not so sure, then again everyone told me I wouldnt be able to handle the Sporty.18, they are gona rip you on insurance, huh?
I only paid $154 for the year on my sporty.The CBR is about $800 a year!
nighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006   #4

Im 17 6'2 175 and rode a YamahaYZF 250 for 2 years b4 I took the MSF course. I just bought a GSX-R 600, never sat on a CBR600 but it does look clean. I know I love my bike and disagree with any one who says a 600 is too small. I think a 600 is perfect even for people whove been riding for years. I can do any speed limit in 1st-3rd depending on the RPM I feel like riding at. Ive only had it for 2 weeks now and the only discomfort I have is my hands fall asleep sometimes (go numb) I think from leaning my body weight on the handle bars due to the lean forward riding position, and it could be more so bc Im so tall and more weight is pressed against my palms, but all I have to do is sit up straight for a second to get the feeling back. I will say it feels alot diferent than dirtbikes but I'm already used to it. Good luck with your purchase.
revelrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006   #5

Hellfire-I used to get that discomfort in my hands too.Ya gotta squeeze your abs when you are riding.Seriously it works.
fax4voice3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006   #6

I'm with BSporty, the CBR is not a beginners bike, people get far too wrapped up in the cc's and don't consider the capabilities. It's over 100 hp in a 400 lb bike, that will need a lot of respect.

Go for something like a Bandit 600 or FZ6, you'll have 90% of the performance, it will be way cheaper to insure, and you'll stand out in a crowd because it's different than the crotch rocket or cruiser that most people have. My XJ600 was $75 a year to insure.
Kenzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006   #7

insurance for me would be 444 a year which i dont think is bad. as far as me riding if been dirtbiking for about 2 years. i looked at the bandit and the FZ6 and there nice bikes but there just not for me. i still dont know what im going to get. what do you guys think would be a good started sportbike if not a cbr??
Old 01-29-2006   #8

A CBR 600 is more then enough power for a first bike. Depending on the year you might want to get liability only insurance. For instance, I have a 98 FZR 600 and pay like $85 a year for insurance. If you total your first bike then chances are you wont be needing a replacement anytime soon.
Win S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006   #9

I think a 600 is fine for you, I agree with the people who say a 600 is too much for a beginner but only if that person hasnt ridden before, with 2 years experience in the dirt and If you take the MSF course youll be fine bc thats exactly what I did, youll instictivly know how to controll a bike if it begins to slide and so on but the MSF course is still the smartest thing you could do. Point is ANY bike can kill you if you a retard on them just be mature and smart while you ride. I think you should get the cbr if you're comftorable on it not just because you think it looks kool escpecially if you plan on having it for a few years bc then youll be able to grow into it.

- Have fun ride smart.
CanTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006   #10

thanks guy. and i also completed the msf course also.