Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Cycle Chaos > Cyclechaos Forums > Types of Bikes > Sportbikes > No helmet = High death rate

No helmet = High death rate

This is a discussion on No helmet = High death rate within the Sportbikes forums, part of the Types of Bikes category; These are some scary facts... http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...MPLATE=DEFAULT Fla. Motorcycle Fatalities Reportedly Soar AP Photo/PETER COSGROVE MELBOURNE, Fla. (AP) -- Motorcycle fatalities ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2007   #1

Default No helmet = High death rate

These are some scary facts...

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...MPLATE=DEFAULT

Fla. Motorcycle Fatalities Reportedly Soar

AP Photo/PETER COSGROVE

MELBOURNE, Fla. (AP) -- Motorcycle fatalities involving riders without helmets have soared in the nearly six years since Gov. Jeb Bush repealed the state's mandatory helmet law, a newspaper reported Sunday.

A Florida Today analysis of federal motorcycle crash statistics found "unhelmeted" deaths in Florida rose from 22 deaths in 1998 and 1999, the years before the helmet law repeal, to 250 deaths in 2004, the most recent data available.

By comparison, Florida logged 270 deaths of riders without helmets during the 1990s, when riding without a helmet was illegal, according to National Highway Traffic Safety Administration reports.

Total motorcycle deaths in the state have increased 67 percent from 259 in 2000 to 432 in 2004, statistics show.

Records also show a corresponding rise in the popularity of motorcycles in the Sunshine State. Motorcycle registrations have increased 87 percent in Florida since Bush signed the helmet law repeal on July 1, 2000.

The debate over motorcycle helmet safety resurfaced last week when Pittsburgh Steelers Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, an advocate of helmet-free riding, broke his jaw, nose and several teeth in an accident. He underwent seven hours of surgery.

Merritt Island motorcyclist and helmet law opponent Dave Carroll said the helmet law debate is misguided.

"The media spent way too much time harping on the helmet issue and not enough on the cause of the accident," Carroll said. "What causes most of the crashes is cars. Usually, it's the car driver turning left at an intersection and causing an accident because they didn't see us coming."

Physicians and insurance companies say helmets are crucial safety gear.

"We used to call (helmetless riders) 'organ donors,' because they break their head and not their body," said Dr. David Harbour, who works in the emergency room at Wuesthoff Medical Center in Rockledge. "You can actually fix a broken bone. But if you hit your head and hurt your brain, there's little we can do to fix that."
cbr600rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007   #2

shocking
Big Skizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007   #3

You know the death rate in CA went up when they re-instated the helmet law right?

I want to see a breakdown of age group and years of riding experience and the ratio of bikes on the road then to now. Anything can be twisted in any way.
bignic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007   #4

TheJeStEr1340 said:
You know the death rate in CA went up when they re-instated the helmet law right?

I want to see a breakdown of age group and years of riding experience and the ratio of bikes on the road then to now. Anything can be twisted in any way.

Wow, though that statistic may be accurate it displays a horrible understanding of physics. The fact that more people died after innacting a law requiring helmets means that many more would have died without the law. There isn't an accident imaginable that a helmet would put you in great risk of injury. But just about every accident without a helmet puts you at a greater risk for injury.
huge001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007   #5

Originally posted by Orange_R6
Wow, though that statistic may be accurate it displays a horrible understanding of physics. The fact that more people died after innacting a law requiring helmets means that many more would have died without the law. There isn't an accident imaginable that a helmet would put you in great risk of injury. But just about every accident without a helmet puts you at a greater risk for injury.
That's no where near accurate and has nothing to do with physics. My thoughts are that when they inacted the helmet law all these kids (probably my age) bought bikes, put on their helmets and felt invincible their first time out. Then in the Ca traffic they were either not paying attention, going way too fast, or some idiot driver pulled out in front of them. (wow, these are all shocking the same reason for most accidents today).

I am really pro choice on helmets, I live in NC and frequently go down to Myrtle beach in SC, when I ride down there I will wear a helmet, if I am going to ride along the strip I probably won't wear a helmet, if I wreck I have to deal with the consequences of my actions wether it is my fault or not.

Another fun fact: Your more likely to be paralyzed from an impact wearing a helmet because of it's thickness than without it. I honestly rather be dead than have someone wiping my @ss for me.
emore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007   #6

TheJeStEr1340 said:

gixxer6er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007   #7

did the article mention the # of dumbass drivers have increased? There's mention somewhere that some % of those fatality is caused by dumbass drivers making a turn and cutting off bikers.
Beth M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007   #8

Gotta love stastics, does it say how many died from head injuries that may more acuratley reflect if its due to no helmets. Also in the last 6 years our sport has had a huges surege in popularity with sportbikes as well as cruisers. granted cars do likley play a role in many fatalities but how many wer esingle bike or bike on bike accidents where the rider couldnt control the machine

Tom
mrduell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007   #9

Bugsy said:
did the article mention the # of dumbass drivers have increased? There's mention somewhere that some % of those fatality is caused by dumbass drivers making a turn and cutting off bikers.

Accidents happen and we have to be careful. SUV pulled out in front of me and totaled my bike. I had a full face helmet on and my head hit the SUV @ 45 mph and I escaped with a broken collar bone instead of being a vegatable or dead. IMHO, no full face helmet and your already on my stupid list.
neener892004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007   #10

Originally posted by TheJeStEr1340
Another fun fact: Your more likely to be paralyzed from an impact wearing a helmet because of it's thickness than without it. I honestly rather be dead than have someone wiping my @ss for me.

You in ABATE?
Dsk65 is offline   Reply With Quote