Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Cycle Chaos > Cyclechaos Forums > Types of Bikes > Sportbikes > so...ummm, I now ride without a jacket...(let me explain)

so...ummm, I now ride without a jacket...(let me explain)

This is a discussion on so...ummm, I now ride without a jacket...(let me explain) within the Sportbikes forums, part of the Types of Bikes category; When I got on my first bike a while back I was a gear freak!...helmet, jacket, boots, gloves and kneepads ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2007   #1

Default so...ummm, I now ride without a jacket...(let me explain)

When I got on my first bike a while back I was a gear freak!...helmet, jacket, boots, gloves and kneepads under the pants...nonetheless, as I have grow in riding, and culmunating today, I have finally made the decision to ride (most of the time) without a armored jacket. I am fully aware of the dangers and also how "stupid" this is...I did take a nasty spill about a year ago at 40 mph and understand the ramifications of my actions...nonetheless I do still wear the boots, gloves and helmet 100% of the time without question...but back to the jacket...I have a good reason for my decision, and it is NOT the usual:
1)It's not because "it's too hot" cause I wore it all last summer and endured it...(in Florida mind you)
2)It's not for any kind of "poser" or squid mentality, I still ALWAYS wear pants and double layers on the top and sometimes triple, always long sleeve shirts (I know, I know that doesn't do much when you fall but it is more than the squidly t-shirt)
3)It's not that I don't have a "nice enough" jacket, I actually have a custom-fitted Syed leather jacket that I do love dearly...

-The reason that finally overwhelmed me today, and I haven't heard many riders talk about this but i'm sure it is common, my reason for not wearing the padded jacket is for mauneverability and agility while riding...I'm a skinny guy and like to move a lot on the bike, hanging off, ducking down "into it", looking over my shoulder...needless to say I don't "cruise" on my bike much...
So, and sorry for the length of this...but I rode this morning (with the jacket) and again later tonight (without it), and yes, florida weather is great!...and so, the differences were night and day, no pun intended. Without the jacket I "controlled" the bike, was one with it and free to move as far off or in the bike as I desired, it was like beautiful music...while this morning with the jacket I felt like I was riding with an NFL lineman bear hugging me from the back(ok, not that bad), but just very "confining"...my movements weren't so much "flowing" as they were "robotic", if that makes any sense...

so my point...I understand fully the dangers of my actions but DO stand on the grounds that I religiously wear the helmet/boots/gloves-I don't "stunt" AT ALL and don't speed, at least not a lot...and so I was wondering if there was anyone on here with my same thought?...do you ever feel that your jacket "confines" you more than you'd like?...

p.s.- My plan for the future is to wear the jacket religiously on "long trips"...while I understand the danger is the same, on the short 15 minute trips around town, this is where I have decided to go without it...
jjc1603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007   #2

I recommendyou get a new jacket. A riding jacket should in no way impair your agility and maneuverability on the bike. Believe me, a slight inconvenience of wearing the jacket is much better than scraping all the skin off your forearms. So just get a more comfy jacket if that's the case.

I tend to be a gear whore/nazi... but recently I too started taking small trips without a riding jacket. The only time I do this is when commuting to school, which is about 6 miles away on a strait stretch of road with about 15 lights, and speeds never exceed 35 mph. The main reason I don't ride with a jacket just because it's a pain in the ass to carry it around all day. Often I wear a "casual" non-MC leather jacket if the weather is milder.

Other than that, if I'm going anywhere else, it's always a minimum of jacket/gloves/helmet and often 12" riding boots. On long rides I'm always wearing full gear including pants.
billydonscott1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007   #3

Ya dude, look at all those racers wearing constricting leather suits.....I'll bet they'd go, like, even faster if they were naked. It'd give room for those big brass ones they all have room to exand.

You're either kidding yourself, don't have gear that fits properly, or don't understand the movements nessicary to ride a sportbike.

"needless to say I don't "cruise" on my bike much...I don't "stunt" AT ALL and don't speed, at least not a lot"

hey, look, you're good at fooling yourself.

In Texas, I'd sometimes ride without a jacket because I was hot and it felt good, or didn't want to deal with it whereever I was headed. I don't care wheather you wear one or not, but you should be realistic about why not.
inmodwetrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007   #4

sometimes my "sarcasm" can be construde for reality...no I do not speed and my "non-crusing" ways would probably still be seen by most riders as "soft"...my "reasoning" is as honest as I can make it and I tried to clear that up in the first post, it not being about the heat, squidly arrogance or "cheap" jacket reasons...my goal of this thread was not to boast that I "don't need leathers" :rolleyes or start a petition to do away with the necessity of them

I didn't mean to ruffle any feathers...your comments make it seem like I'm that "dude" who rides with no helmet cause "the girls like it" and I'm bad to the bone man...:confused , my entire first post was a blatant show of how my present actions were so "uncharacteristic" of the kind of rider I am...that's the very reason I was wondering if others have fallen into the same feelings...
Although I shouldn't be shocked at your responses, this is one of the reasons I love this site so much...most of the guys on here put safety first instead of the usual squid mentalities...nevertheless, I just can't see how anyone can TRULY disagree that one is just as "agile" or free in regards to movement in a padded/armored leather jacket than without it...while that doesn't make it right to not wear one I think my "reasoning" is quite logical...:confused
jjc1603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007   #5

If your jacket is restricting your movement then it doesn't fit right. Except for the movements it's meant to restrict to help prevent limbs going the wrong way in the event of a get off.

You may say your post is being as honest as you can be. But it still comes off sounding like someone that's saying "I'm not cool enough riding with a jacket and I'm good enough that I don't need it." Wait until you have another 40mph get off and have rash to the bone and maybe even get lucky and lose an arm to the elbow. Then maybe you'll realize how ridiculous your post is. :rolleyes
DEREK B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007   #6

i've never felt restricted by my jacket...

as said above, and i'll restate it.. you need a new jacket...

the only reason i don't ride without armoured pants is because mine have a hole in them and need fixing.. then they'll be back on my legs...
Samantha D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007   #7

+100 on the jacket not fitting properly.

if it makes it difficult to control the bike, it is the wrong jacket.

For those that complain about the heat:
The hotter it is, the MORE you need that set ofl eathers on. Counterintuitive, but anyone that lives in nevada or some other southwestern desert state can probably attest to this fact: the leathers provide thermal insulation to keep you cool when riding in 100+ degree weather. I opened the visor last July one time in Nevada to adjust my glasses, and it felt like opening an oven up and getting the first burst of hot air......

but hey it's your skin, just don't try to pass off your experience with an ill-fitting jacket as the standard for everyone.
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007   #8

:confused my jacket doesn't inhibit my riding at all. Actually it's the other way around, with it on, I tend to take more of a chance because I have some type of protection on. Your jacket shouldn't cause ANY control problems when riding. I think you just fell in lvoe with the wind blowing by your whole body.
cay k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007   #9

With as many times as I hear on the traffic reports about accidents involving motorcycles during rush hour, it's my belief that you need MORE protection for riding around town than you would out on long trips. :shrug

We've buried 2 people who died commuting to/from work.
My FIL ended up with road rash, broken ribs and a broken collar bone while commuting to work.
I swore out a warrant against a woman who tried to kill me twice with her SUV while I was commuting to work.

YMMV
capthaudy36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007   #10

i've found out the hard way, that my movement was even more constricted by skin graphs and stitches
ideamanbmg is offline   Reply With Quote