Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Cycle Chaos > Cyclechaos Forums > Types of Bikes > Touring > ? about touring and camping

? about touring and camping

This is a discussion on ? about touring and camping within the Touring forums, part of the Types of Bikes category; When you go touring/camping, what do you take? I am wondering what things you take for the bike, for maintenance ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2006   #1

Default ? about touring and camping

When you go touring/camping, what do you take? I am wondering what things you take for the bike, for maintenance and accidents. Thinking of trying some touring next year, and trying to get an idea of what I need.

Of course any gear suggestions would be nice, like saddlebags or tankbags. I ride a Katana now, but am thinking of trying to get a newer bike. Of course my thought is to do this on a sportsbike, rather than something designed more for touring.
bty38401482 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006   #2

I tour alot on my Hayabusa, having logged over 34k miles in the last 2-1/2 years on it.

Every year, I change the packing list, usually packing less and less.

Here's a general list of what I take.

If I'm camping...
Tent
Sleeping Bag
Thermarest
Big tailbag to put it all in

Additionally,
Laptop for digital camera/GPS
about 4 days worth of clothes
tinted faceshield
extra gloves(waterproof)
first aid kit
earplugs (1 package at least)
chain lube
tools (sockets, wrenches, ratchet, screwdrivers, pliers, multimeter)
duct tape
electrical tape
atlas
tennis shoes

This is all that comes to mind off the top of my head. I know there's more, and I'll add it in as I remember. Hope this gives you a decent starting place.

And touring can be done on anything you want! The Katana should easily be comfortable enough to do trips on.

A couple of examples. Alaska was last year. Key West was this year. :D

http://www.tlrider.com/image/misc/keywest.jpg
jaimestar64cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006   #3

I haven't done any long distance touring yet, but I've got in quite a few weekend camping trips so far . . .

House-

Tent - Eureka 2XTA
Sleeping bag
Air mattress - Big Agnes Aircore (rolls up very small)

Kitchen -

MSR dragonfly stove
MSR 2qt pot (stove packs inside pot)
Plastic measuring cup
Lexan spoon
Freeze dried meals (expensive, but yummy)

Tools -

Stock toolbag
1/4" ratchet/sockets
crecent wrench
allen wrenches
screw driver
tire irons
front/rear tubes
patch kit
zip ties

Clothes -

extra socks
t-shirt
sandals
baseball hat
rain gear
extra gloves

Other crap -

earplugs
flashlight
camp chair
maps
soft sided cooler

I'm pretty comfortable when I go camping :laughing
guru350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006   #4

Thanks for the input, helps out a lot. found some places that have lists of what they take, but some of it seems like luxury items. Trying to keep it simple.
Old 06-14-2006   #5

Keeping it simple is easy.

I know guys who's idea of *keeping it simple* is to take along whatever will fit in the tankbag and a credit card. :laughing

Good luck on deciding what all you want to take. You might also check sport-touring.net (http://www.sport-touring.net) for even more ideas.
sidsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006   #6

I go as simple as I can. Even in the Yukon or on the way to Deadhorse food is available enough. I'll bring a few powerbars and a camelback. A basic tent, a bed roll and a backpacking sleeping bag. I bring a small, but normal pillow for comfort. I don't like to camp below 40 degrees so I don't bring a lot of heavy gear for that. Colder than that temp I'll find a hotel.

For clothes I like as much synthetic stuff as I can because it's easier to wash in a sink if need be. I don't bring more than 3 days or so of clothes because it's too easy to do laundry on the road.

For tools, just a few basic things because beyond most of the basic repair items and wheel removal stuff, I'm likely to need to wait on parts anyways or find a shop. I will be revising this some since I broke some spokes on my trip to Deadhorse, but will be carefull not to bring too much.

These are all habits that carry over well from bicycle touring or backpacking. There are some interesting compact tools from bicycles that can be usefull depending on what you need.
Luke Flegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006   #7

:thumb thanks for the link, and thanks all the input. goes a long way to help me in planning all the supplies I might need, just need to make sure I can make the trip next year, and figure out where to go.
Old 06-16-2006   #8

I Sport Tour the crap outta my 2005 Katana 750. I put 18,000 miles on her in 12 months. The other post have covered most of what you'll need to take as awell as some 'comfort' items. Just be sure you have stuff to get you outta trouble as fast as you got into it.
I have a set of Nelson Rigg saddlebags and a Cortech tail bag to carry my gear in.
puffyho P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012   #9

Where is the proof?
Rossi is offline   Reply With Quote