Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Cycle Chaos > Cyclechaos Forums > Types of Bikes > Touring > Blue Ridge Parkway Poised to Open

Blue Ridge Parkway Poised to Open

This is a discussion on Blue Ridge Parkway Poised to Open within the Touring forums, part of the Types of Bikes category; The Blue Ridge Parkway will be open as weather permits by the end of the month, though a small portion ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2006   #1

Default Blue Ridge Parkway Poised to Open

The Blue Ridge Parkway will be open as weather permits by the end of the month, though a small portion of it will remain closed until bridge repairs are completed. The Craggy Gardens Visitor Center will be closed for the 2008 season (milepost 364.5) due to a slide which remains unstable. This section of the road will remain closed. I do not have info on the planned detour, though if was was similar to last year, you may want to look into it closely as last years detour was a long one. There are ways to plan around it that will take you off the Parkway, but onto other great roads in the area.

The Parkway Craft Center at the Moses H. Cone Memorial Park near the town of Blowing Rock opened March 15. The consessions at Mt. Pisgah (great restaurant, great views, be sure to add it to your plans) is slated to open March 27. The Picnic areas at Peaks of Otter, Humpback Rocks, and Linville Falls will open April 4. All other Parkway Picnic Areas will be open on May 9.

Linville Falls campground will open April 4. All other Parkway campgrounds will be open May 16.

The 6.3-mile section of the Blue Ridge Parkway between US Route 421 east of Boone, North Carolina and US Route 321 south of Boone will be temporarily detoured for bridge repairs.

The detour will begin for visitors traveling south at milepost 285.5, Bamboo Gap. These visitors will follow state road (SR) 1514 Bamboo Road to Deerfield Road, following the detour signs along US Route 321 south of Boone then connecting back to the Parkway at milepost 291.8.

Visitors traveling north will begin the detour at milepost 291.8, intersection US Route 321; follow the detour signs along US321 to state route 1514 Deerfield Road to Bamboo Road which will bring them back to the Parkway at milepost 285.5. The total detour is estimated to be approximately 8 miles.

Parkway officials said the closure is to allow repairs to be made to the Goshen Creek Bridge, mile post 286.3. These repairs are estimated to take nine months to complete.
Ray T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006   #2

Great! I've already been planning a trip fom around the 60mm down to Cherokee, N.C. for sometime in May.
Your info is welcomed and I appreciate the tips on where to stop, etc.
I know it's a long ride but my father was one of the engineers responsible for the blasting of the tunnels. I'm really looking forward to the ride.

Thanks,
CD
weeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006   #3

Awsome I am planning on riding the whole BRP in May:)
samstigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006   #4

Awsome I am planning on riding the whole BRP in May:)

Where will you be starting from?

I'll be getting on just east of Huntington, W.Va. and going south from there to Cherokee, N.C.
Then I'll go over to the Dragon at Deal's Gap and ride that area.

CD
gigi o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006   #5

I am trying to make plans to ride the parkway this summer since i am coming from the east coast of virginia (hampton roads) where is the best area to get on and still see some good sights??
Anomaly 17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006   #6

Where will you be starting from?

I'll be getting on just east of Huntington, W.Va. and going south from there to Cherokee, N.C.
Then I'll go over to the Dragon at Deal's Gap and ride that area.

CD
Ya know I really have it in my mind to start at the beginning and ride it all the way North till it ends:D

Read my Chromekid01 does America thread:)
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006   #7

I figured the length of my trip From Frankfort, Ky. to Fancy Gap, Va. to Cherokee, N.C., then stop at Neal's Gap, run the Dragon and come home. The trip will be right at 850 miles. With stops, chit chat and butt breaks, it'll take 6to 7 days.
I'll try to camp out as much as possible and get a motel room every few days to bathe and rest.

CD
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006   #8

I figured the length of my trip From Frankfort, Ky. to Fancy Gap, Va. to Cherokee, N.C., then stop at Neal's Gap, run the Dragon and come home. The trip will be right at 850 miles. With stops, chit chat and butt breaks, it'll take 6to 7 days.
I'll try to camp out as much as possible and get a motel room every few days to bathe and rest.

CD

Hey CD when are you gonna be up there? maybe we can meet I will be mototravelin and campin the BRP and prolly also make a stop on the Dragon and the hellbender I also wanna do 421 the snake:D
nctrev09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006   #9

Right now I'm planning on the second week in June. I've thought the about the third week in May. It depends on the weather!!

CD
Mary W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006   #10

Right now I'm planning on the second week in June. I've thought the about the third week in May. It depends on the weather!!

CD

The third week in May works perfect for me:D
gejandsons is offline   Reply With Quote