Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

BMW R1200RT

This is a discussion on BMW R1200RT within the Touring forums, part of the Types of Bikes category; I'm not sure this is the correct forum, but they do consider it a touring bike. I just road an ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2006   #1

Default BMW R1200RT

I'm not sure this is the correct forum, but they do consider it a touring bike. I just road an RT. Seemed sweet. I couldn't believe how light it handled. Anyone have any input on this bike. They have decent deals on right now and I'm thinking.
Butch E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006   #2

Default BMW R1200RT

MrJP said:
I'm not sure this is the correct forum, but they do consider it a touring bike. I just road an RT.

Yep it's a touring bike, and a d@mn fine one at that. The only aggrivations I've heard about from BMW owners is the lack of a large dealer network, and this bikes relative high center of gravity.

Hope that helps!!

Cheers1
Jason K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006   #3

Default BMW R1200RT

Yup, even BMW classifies the bike as a touring bike.

I've been looking at one for about the past 10 months. The only complaint I have so far is that it's not as smooth as my ST under acceleration, but the dealer network issue is a wash since I haven't found a dealer in the state of Texas that knows my ST1300 isn't a BMW ... most Honda dealers don't even know what the bike is!

The RT is much lighter weight than most of the comparitive sport-touring competitors, gets fantastic gas mileage, and has loads of touring features either as standard or factory options. Disadvantages are the bike's center of gravity, and the torque shift you feel when sitting at a stop light and you blip the throttle.

Still ... this is probably my next touring mount.
slithering ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006   #4

Default BMW R1200RT

Thanks guys. I considered an ST, but I can't find one at any dealership within 150 miles of me to even sit on. I'm a big guy, 6'6", and don't fit on a lot of bikes so I wouldn't consider ordering on.

As for the tall center of gravity, I didn't feel it much, but then I grew up on dual sports. It wasn't as low as my old Road King, but I found it much more "flickable". I felt more like I was sitting on it rather than in it like I did my RK. The RT actually felt much more manoverable. As much as I loved my Road King, the refinement of the RT is winning me over.

I'm pretty sure this will be my next bike.
Old 06-18-2006   #5

Default BMW R1200RT

Just take lots of pictures so I can drool over it until mine comes in. :)
nodealandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006   #6
Ric

Default BMW R1200RT

Have you tried an FJR1300....
I was torn between the the two but once I compared them......well the FJR won out hands down.

Either one is nice......I think the FJR handles better, quicker, slicker, and cheaper.

NC
Ric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006   #7

Default BMW R1200RT

I like the FJR's looks, but I can't find one to set on. Ergo's are of vital importance to me. I'm a big guy and a lot of bikes don't feel good on my old knees.
Old 06-19-2006   #8

Default BMW R1200RT

Not many dealers have FJR's on the floor. Can check out www.fjrforum.com to see if there is anyone near you that would let you check out their's. I love my FJR, been a great choice.
Lola Mandailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006   #9
ang

Default BMW R1200RT

Bringing an old thread back to life ...

After my write up on the New Hampshire trip with my ST1300, I came home looking to place a deposit on a 2007 RT. Low and behold, the dealer had gotten in another group of new 06 RTs as part of a deal to get their hands on another GT this year. Coming up on year end, my dealer was ready to make these RTs move quickly.

So ... Friday I picked up a new 06 R1200RT complete with ESA, cruise, radio (didn't really want it, but price was attractive enough), NavIII, large top box, cylinder head protectors, etc. Still riding through the break-in cycle, but hoping to get her out on the open road shortly.

Since I asked for pics to drool over, I'll offer up some of my own. :)

More picture on my website, here .
ang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006   #10

Default BMW R1200RT

Man Rocket, and my color choice too. What do you think of the nav system? I'm on the fence vs some aftermarket ones.