Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Cycle Chaos > Cyclechaos Forums > Types of Bikes > Touring > Concours 14: to ABS or not to ABS? THAT is the question

Concours 14: to ABS or not to ABS? THAT is the question

This is a discussion on Concours 14: to ABS or not to ABS? THAT is the question within the Touring forums, part of the Types of Bikes category; **This is also posted in the Kawasaki section of this forum As my gumline and hairline shrink and my waistline ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2006   #1

Default Concours 14: to ABS or not to ABS? THAT is the question

**This is also posted in the Kawasaki section of this forum

As my gumline and hairline shrink and my waistline grows (Baby, I know you read my posts! Gimme that P90-X video for Christmas!) I am giving very serious thought to migrating to a sport tourer from a sport bike and the concours 14 has caught my eye. it comes with ABS but how good is the ABS as compared to the ABS on the Honda ST1300? I am told that the Honda has a computerized ABS whereas the Kaw has a mechanical ABS. Of course this confuses me and my salesperson has no idea. So, I am turning to you fine people.

ABS on the Connie or skip the ABS? Or should I just go for the Honda ST?

I relying on you fellas to give me the low down.
Thanks!!
ventoris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006   #2

To the best of my knowledge, all ABS is electronic. It takes wheel sensors to measure slip, and actuators to apply/release the brake pressure. ABS in general is on the "must have" list for my next bike purchase. What surprises me is how few models it is actually available on.
rght1 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006   #3

I have an 07 FJR 1300A which comes standard with ABS. Generally ABS increases stopping distances some but removes the risk of locking the front wheel in an emergency stop. If you lock the front wheel you have less than 3 seconds to let up on it or you will meet the pavement which will be unpleasant. I am older and my reflexes have slowed down so ABS is preferable to me. It is a personal decision that each of us makes when we buy a bike. Good luck on your decision and happy riding.
William B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006   #4

Actually in the last big report I read this changed a bunch of people's opinion.

They took 3 people, a novice, a seasoned rider and a professional racer.
They all 3 rode on a bike that didn't have ABS first.
And as you would assume the racer was able to brake the shortest with the novice coming in third.
Then they all rode a bike with ABS and the novice actually beat out the other 2 on some of the tests, I guess they assured him he could just grab the brakes where as the others knew to apply smoother from experience.

I know when I first got my FJR with ABS I was really surpsied how quick I could stop and I am an instructor. So quickly and so smoothly and honestly so easy to stop fast.
ABS is a nice touch, of course mine came standard on my bike, would I pay an extra $1000 for it? Probably I would, I mean you reach a point where the extra 1000 for safety is worth it,
I mean we pay more for helmets and gear to protect us, why wouldn't we make our bikes as safe as we can.
But some people will never like the idea of ABS, I for one am sold on it.
Plus when your bike weighs another 300 pounds over a sportbike it doesn't hurt to have a little smoother and more effective braking system.
duckshinoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012   #5

A place where you can discuss your problems and experiences, and you can choose the best brands including controlled and non controlled drugs.
Rossi is offline   Reply With Quote