Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Cycle Chaos > Cyclechaos Forums > Types of Bikes > Touring > Looking for a new touring bike!

Looking for a new touring bike!

This is a discussion on Looking for a new touring bike! within the Touring forums, part of the Types of Bikes category; Right now Im riding a 85 K model BMW RT100. Love it but want to upgrade to something newer. Am ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2006   #1

Default Looking for a new touring bike!

Right now Im riding a 85 K model BMW RT100. Love it but want to upgrade to something newer. Am considering another RT (probably an R model this time) but also have always likes the older Triumph Sprints (the sport touring one! made in the late 90s ?) and I also like the look of the new MotoGuzzi Norge. The FJR is nice, but maybe more sporty than I want to go. Any thoughts?? Im especially interested in hearing about anyone who may have one of the Triumphs??!!!
xbox360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006   #2

Hi. I have an '02 Triumph Sprint ST. I love it, it's a great bike. Handles well, rides smooth, good power and acceleration, not buzzy or a lot of vibration, stable but maneuverable, gets good gas mileage (47-52 MPG), reasonably comfortable seating position, decent sized bags and top case.
Things I don't like? Only 1 trip odometer, while the Sprint RS has 2 trip odometers...how stupid is that? The bags are not waterproof...the interior will get wet in a light-to-medium rain. It doesn't have DOT emergency flashers. If you don't do your maintenance yourself, it's expensive to have the maintenance done at the dealership.
All in all, it's a sweet ride.
Tim
tmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006   #3

Are you looking for a not-so-zippy hyperbike, or a sport/tourer? I wasn't sure.

The FRJ seems to be interesting, but does have a chain. Since there are s/t bikes with shaft, it would seem the wise choice to relieve yourself of one continual maintenance issue.

If you simply must have something with a single-side sa (I personally can't use 'em...2 Beemers and 1 GL1800 failing during test rides kinda drove the point home), then you're pretty much better off with one of Beemer's boys. Of course, there are all the chain drive jobs out there, in varying degrees of forward set (Dukes, Interceptor, Triumph, Aprilla, etc.) to give you choices that all have a rear wheel that's easy to remove.
Paths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006   #4

Motor, I ride a Suzuki, but to be honest, I can't see why you would want anything but a BMW. I notice on the ADVRider forum that when those guys are out in the dirt with their duo sports, they are almost all riding BMW's. They must be put together REALLY well. Also, I talked to a guy at a McDonald's in southern Missouri who had ridden all the way from the east coast on his, and he told me he wouldn't buy anything else. I know they're expensive (why I don't have one), but they must be well worth the money! I'd stick with a beemer if I were you.
Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006   #5

Are you looking for a not-so-zippy hyperbike, or a sport/tourer? I wasn't sure.

The FRJ seems to be interesting, but does have a chain. Since there are s/t bikes with shaft, it would seem the wise choice to relieve yourself of one continual maintenance issue.

If you simply must have something with a single-side sa (I personally can't use 'em...2 Beemers and 1 GL1800 failing during test rides kinda drove the point home), then you're pretty much better off with one of Beemer's boys. Of course, there are all the chain drive jobs out there, in varying degrees of forward set (Dukes, Interceptor, Triumph, Aprilla, etc.) to give you choices that all have a rear wheel that's easy to remove.

FJR1300 is a shaft.
Tom v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006   #6

My bad...I must have been looking at a pre-production version, or a hopped-up R.:o
Nuttybrunett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006   #7

Well I know there are those who will disagree with me and thats okay but I bought a 1500 Goldwing SE and put over 4200 miles on it on my last trip. I averaged about 700 miles a day in comfort and dependability all the way. They are big bikes and I have learned a few handling tricks since buying mine but I can honestly say that after riding one its easy for me to see why they are and have been so popular with the touring crowd for a long time. I have read some posts where people complained about them being too big for short rides but for me it is no problem at all. As a matter of fact after having mine for awhile it doesn't seem as big as it did at the first. Any bike is going to take some getting used to as I am sure you well know but the bottom line for me is to buy a bike that you are going to like and enjoy whether anyone else likes it or not. I am not trying to be smart about it but having what you like is part of the fun of motorcycling. Happy trails!
pandy37050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006   #8

Right now Im riding a 85 K model BMW RT100. Love it but want to upgrade to something newer. Am considering another RT (probably an R model this time) but also have always likes the older Triumph Sprints (the sport touring one! made in the late 90s ?) and I also like the look of the new MotoGuzzi Norge. The FJR is nice, but maybe more sporty than I want to go. Any thoughts?? Im especially interested in hearing about anyone who may have one of the Triumphs??!!!

Get the ST1300.You'll never look back.:)
testAllthings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006   #9

I went from a Wing to an Ultra Classic...

Did I buy it because Harley is the Best ? Hardly.... I looked at the BMW k1200 LT and thought it was a great bike... Couldn't get past the Styling and I don't like how the whole side of the saddlebag opens..

When I bought the Ultra, for the first week I thought I made a horrible mistake, 98 degrees outside and the exhaust was cooking me as the rear cylinder runs way hot on the 07's and 08's..

Well, a week and a half and 1000 miles later, the new V7H exhaust was in and the bike was taken in to have the V&H Pipes installed along with the Race Tuner Kit and the new Screamin Eagle Air Cleaner Kit... Had the Bike Dyno'd....

Like having a Totally different bike. More HP, Smoother and better Torque Curve, Better Fuel Mileage, could put in 6th Gear at 55 instead of 65 and WAYYYYYY Cooler... Just took the bike on almost a 2220 mile run to Florida and back.... Duffle bag behind me for a backrest, Cruise set at 85 and feet up on the pegs.... Life Is Good !!!

Doc
local2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006   #10

Doc, is that a 96 cu in bike? I don't know much about Harleys, but my friend has a new Softtail Classic, and he already had Vance & Hines Long Shots on his bike. If the tuner makes that much difference, I'll mention it to him.
allknowing is offline   Reply With Quote