Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Cycle Chaos > Cyclechaos Forums > Types of Bikes > Touring > A Moto Guzzi, a Bandit and 3 Twisted Sisters

A Moto Guzzi, a Bandit and 3 Twisted Sisters

This is a discussion on A Moto Guzzi, a Bandit and 3 Twisted Sisters within the Touring forums, part of the Types of Bikes category; But I'm too damn tired to write it up tonight! :D Stay tuned. Complete with pics...sooner or later!...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2006   #1

Default A Moto Guzzi, a Bandit and 3 Twisted Sisters

But I'm too damn tired to write it up tonight! :D Stay tuned. Complete with pics...sooner or later!
Marina I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006   #2

I can't wait to see the pics:)
Carrieally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006   #3

Apparently Gumby were going for the later addition i take it. We will be waiting to see.
MacedonianBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006   #4

are you rested yet Gumby? I can't wait much longer :D
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006   #5

About a week ago my Bro calls me up and asks if I want to join a group headed to 3 Twisted Sisters in the Texas Hill Country. By the time that Friday (10/24) comes around it’s down to just him and me. Just my size of group! Well there is nothing really scenic from I-20 in W. TX to Ballinger, Menard, Junction, and Kerrville, TX. We stopped for lunch at Coopers BBQ in Junction. That itself was worth the ride! I-10 is 80 MPH so it doesn’t take long to get to Kerrville, our home base. And my Bro rides a Moto Guzzi 1100 – and rides it well.

There are Gold Wing Trikes, a few other bikes and some kind of Mazda Miata convertible club all staying there too.

We get a great room overlooking the pool…been more scenic a few months ago!

Then it was off to Lukenbach, TX – take Hwy 16 to Fredricksburg and off east a bit. We got a Shiner Black Lager and sat under the tree out back a bit; took in some singing and story telling. There was a ton of bikes here this weekend for a vintage bike show…but we manage to miss it.

And you had best stay out of the way of this “Cowasaki”! Damn that thing moves!

Dinner was at ‘Mammacitas”! Great atmosphere, good food and good service.

Saturday morning we’re off! At breakfast I fall victim to a blonde waitress that walks up to the table and says, “Two blondes walk into a building…damn you’d think one of them would have seen it!”

After breakfast we head south to Medina and find a place to stop.

These roads are narrow without shoulders. There are very few places to stop (without getting run over) so I am lacking pics that really show how beautiful the TX Hill Country is this time of year. We pick up the first sister (337) at Medina. These are pics on 337. Farther along I get shot by txmotofoto.com.

337 runs west through Vanderpool, Leakey and Camp Wood. Lots of turns and switchbacks and hills all mixed together! There was one section going into Leakey that was under construction for several miles but it was hard packed caliche.

At Camp Wood we picked up Hwy 55 for a few miles to get to the 2nd sister, 335.

I shot past the Guzzi and let the Bandit run – there was little traffic on this road. Then it was a brake test for some photo ops and glamour shots! This section is sometimes called the “roller coaster” for it’s hills.

335 runs out into Hwy 41. It’s a few miles east to 336. I put the spurs to the Bandit (a little lift off in 2nd) and we were off down 336.

There are lots of cattle guards on 336. Plenty of hills and tight turns…one or two with the requisite cattle guards in the turn or right after the turn! I had to pull into someone’s driveway to walk back to take these pics. I am just not doing the scenery any real justice.

We rode back into Leakey for lunch. Then we made a side trip to the new “Frio Canyon Motorcycle Stop” for my “I did 3 Twisted Sisters” T-shirt….and a ride bell for the Guzzi…damn gremlin stole a nut off his shift linkage.

We went back on 337 to north of Vanderpool the Motorcycle Museum. I have a ton of pics, too many to put here…Ducatis, Nortons, Vincents, Soyer, Ariel, Indian, AJS, Whizzer, Brough, Rudge, J. A. Prestwich (wicked 500 w/o brakes or gears!), Gilera, Enfield, Douglas and of course a CB750. Not a Zook in the house!

We head back to base on Hwy 39. This road is just as scenic and twisty as anything we’ve been on all day. But again – nowhere to pull off and take pics. This highway runs along the Sabinal River. The highway is tree canopied in many places. Several places are under construction as bridges are being built to replace the low water crossings. Still it was a beautiful ride.

When we got back to “base” it was a decision to go back to Lukenbach amongst the drunks and come back in the dark with the deer…or have a beer or two in the room and go to dinner. We ate at Jazz…under new management. The menu said “Cajun Kisses” so I asked the waitress if I got them from her…didn’t quite work out. :o Zeigenbach was on tap. The blackened catfish was good. The atmosphere was good…even had some live entertainment.

We went back to the same restaurant for breakfast – same waitress. I’d noticed the local ‘roadkill of choice’ was raccoon. So I asked her, “Why did the chicken cross the road? To prove to the raccoons that really can be done!”

We rode lazy two lane hot tops all the way home….Hwy 783…just outside Doss I had a close encounter with a couple of deer…broad ass daylight! I got shut down in plenty of time; then picked up Hwy 29 through Mason and Menard and 190 through to FM 2084 to Christoval. In Christoval I thought I’d try one of those low water crossings. Not a good idea! Slicker than ice. “Hold my beer and watch this?” Naw, “Here’s my camera; get a pic of this!” But he didn’t. Damage to bike? About $100 - seeing the bald headed fat guy bust his ass in a creek - priceless!

Then on in to San Angelo; taking FM 853 west to “South Burma Rd”; up to Carlsbad and Water Valley, then FM2034 and FM 2059 and home.
Old 05-27-2006   #6

Looked like some beautiful riding weather also. Thanks for sharing your ride. Wish I had a little more time to take a long ride around the flat country here in florida. Glad also that you didn't play smear the deer.
BMW k1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006   #7

next time you talk to your Bro, smack him for me please, I wanted to see the fat bald guy bust his ass in the creek (I do have an imagination though <concentrating> BWAAHHAAAAAHAAAHAA) ok all better now :D nice write up, call the TX. DOT about no place to stop for pictures man, gotta have the photo ops.
galOutLoud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006   #8

That happened so fast I don't think that the shutter could have caught it! With the assistance of some locktite epoxy (that's the cat's ass! :D) the mirror is back in service (so is the handguard). I cut a piece of glass and replaced the bulb in the driving light (and straightened out the brackets). All that's left is a little touch up paint on the crash bar and it's all better. A couple of good bruises showed up yesterday on the inside of my left calf (pass footpeg or bungee tie point) but the hips and arse are easing up!
Old 05-29-2006   #9

see, that's why we all need to start taking VIDEO instead of still pictures LOL
Dave2104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006   #10

Linda and I made that ride last week after a visit to Bourne, TX. and then a trip to some big flippin rock - was interesting to see all the fenced in land.

AJ
llordlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote