Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Cycle Chaos > Cyclechaos Forums > Types of Bikes > Touring > New bike coming home today.

New bike coming home today.

This is a discussion on New bike coming home today. within the Touring forums, part of the Types of Bikes category; Well if all goes well, I should be getting a call from the Suzuki dealer telling me my new VStrom ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2006   #1

Default New bike coming home today.

Well if all goes well, I should be getting a call from the Suzuki dealer telling me my new VStrom 650 is ready to be picked up.

I just bought a brand new Red and black '05. I'll probably be order a set of Givi sidecases for it this week as well. I'll post my thoughts once I get some seat time on it.
Eleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006   #2

Quiet bunch in here eh?

I picked up my VStrom 650 last night. Here are a few of my thoughts about it.

What I like about it:

First off, the break in procedure I was told not to do over 5000 RPMs. This is around 68MPH! I couldn't even do over 60MPH on my Z1000.

The power of the bike is nice. Its VERY easy to ride. It pulls well from the bottom and it feels like it would just keep going and going. Even though it doesn't have a ton of power, its more then enough to put a smile on your face without getting bored.

The bikes suspension.. It feels really nice for being a relatively basic setup. It has a firm feel to it, and is rather confidence inspiring. It soaks up bumps really well, without feeling overly soft. I haven't even adjusted anything yet, and I'm not sure that I really want to mess with it at this point in the game. The rear shock has a preload knob that makes tightening the rear end an easy task when you decide to add a passenger or luguage.

The DL650 is SO easy to throw around, and feels very planted in the corners. It steers very easily making the bike feel like it weighs nill once you get moving. It rides really smooth, and it shifts really smooth.

Its comfortable. The stock seat isn't near as bad as most of the stock seat I've felt. Its fairly firm, but is a little on the narrow side. I'm going to need to miles on it before I can decide if I'm going to keep it or not. The bars are high, they almost feel a little to high for my taste. Maybe I'm just used to riding the Z1000 and the way the bars are setup. The feet pegs are more relaxed then the Z1000 is. My knee have been hurting lately, so the relaxed bends are some what welcome.

Its versitle. I'm going to order Givi bags to put on it for commuting and hopefully some over weekend long touring trips. It can handle some offroading, though I doubt I will do much. It does well on rough gravel roads, there are a lot of them out around my wifes parents how. It will be a lot better for riding two-up then the Z1000 as well. It has a wide passenger seat, grab rails, and the wife will beable to use the givi top case as a back rest when I get one.

The mirrors... They actually work!

What I dislike about it so far..

The windscreen needs to be taller. I have adjusted it a little, but the wind hits me about my forehead. It would be nice if I came up high enough so that I could just barely see over it without looking through it.

No radiator screen! My Z1000 has one, its not even meant to be offroad. To make matter worse, on my way home something hit the radiator which tore the fins up pretty bad, I'll have to keep an eye on this to make sure it isn't leaking. There is a guard on the oil cooler, why not put one on the radiator as well?

The looks... They are love it or hate it.. I don't really love them. However, it does look better in full touring mode with bags and all. One of the few bikes that I can honestly say I like better with bags.

Well thats about it for now.. I'm sure I'll have more to say about it as I put more miles on it.
Old 05-23-2006   #3

Thanks for the review . I'll be interested to hear how you feel about the bike once you put more miles on it.
want2quit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006   #4

Man, it sure is dead in here..:confused
Old 05-24-2006   #5

Here are some pics.. I have a full set of Givi cases on order as well.

http://imagine.digitaldeviation.com/...50/Mestrom.JPG
http://imagine.digitaldeviation.com/...0/leftside.JPG http://imagine.digitaldeviation.com/...vewayright.JPG http://imagine.digitaldeviation.com/images/dl650/drivewayleft.JPG
Old 05-25-2006   #6

If you don't mind me asking, how tall are you, I am fairly short and was wondering how the windshield would work for me and how the layout of the bike would fit me. I am just tossing around getting one for commuting, it seems that it would be the perfect commuter with bags added on. I had an 01 SV650 and absolutely loved that motor. It was much tamer than the I-4 that I was used to but it had a big smile factor. Good luck with it and I personally think it looks great!
Dillon H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006   #7

I'm about 5'10 with a 32 or 33 inch inseam. I can just barely flat foot it. You can lower it though, several people on the VStrom forums have done it and it works well. You just have to slide the fork tubes up in the triple trees to match the rear or it will affect handing. The say you can lower it about 1.5 to 2 inches without having to modify the kickstand. You can also trim some foam from the seat to get you a little closer to the ground.

You should love this motor just as much as you SV650, but now you'll have fuel injection! I love FI, and hate owning carb'ed bikes now. The DL650 feels very light around town even though it looks like it would be a little on the heavy side. I was pleasantly surprised.

As for the Windshield I have mine on the "4th" position. Technically its not really a position, but it works, it just isn't as stable as the real 3 positions suzuki has intended. I did not try the third position yet. The lowest position left my head exposed to the wind, by hitting me around the bottom of the helmet. The second (middle) position hit me at the at the top of my visor. The forth postion just barely hits the top of my helmet. I get a little turbulence, but so far its been it really hasn't been a problem. I may look into a Windstrom Manta screen later.
Old 05-27-2006   #8

I had the Cee Bailey Screen on my DL1000. The version with the Naca duct and it was excellent. I bought a 950 Adventure and have the Strom for sale if any of your compadres decides to convert to the Adventure side. I'll take 5500 and its perfect with 10000 miles all stock it's the one in Port Lavaca, Tx in the Cycle Trader.

Richard
CLIVE L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006   #9

I'd like to see some pics when you get those saddle bags on...
skywardsocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006   #10

No problem. I'll post them up after I get them installed. The shop said they have the bags instock, but he had to order the mounts. Hopefully next week sometime I'll be able to pick them up.