Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Cycle Chaos > Cyclechaos Forums > Types of Bikes > Touring > who has traveled to Montreal area?

who has traveled to Montreal area?

This is a discussion on who has traveled to Montreal area? within the Touring forums, part of the Types of Bikes category; I am thinking about traveling from Maine up through Canada and through Montreal and down to Lake Placid, NY. Has ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2006   #1

Default who has traveled to Montreal area?

I am thinking about traveling from Maine up through Canada and through Montreal and down to Lake Placid, NY. Has anyone traveled to Montreal area? looks like it would be a nice place to visit.
sirsteve78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006   #2

I've never been there, however, from what I know of Canada, I hope your planning a summer trip!! :D
friskydragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006   #3

I've been to Montreal quite a few times but have never been fond of the city but then I don't care for big cities. Quebec City is much more picturesque and is one of the oldest cities on the continent.
The countyside around there is fantastic.
liquidluv4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006   #4

I am thinking about traveling from Maine up through Canada and through Montreal and down to Lake Placid, NY. Has anyone traveled to Montreal area? looks like it would be a nice place to visit.
You'd think so, but... no. The drivers there are totally nuts, with no respect for anyone but themselves. The city itself has some scenic points of interest, especially in the old sector, but is difficult to navigate through and there are even a few streets where motorcycles are not allowed.

The countryside, however, is quite spectacular and you'd be better off riding through it rather than the city. The people will be a little more friendly, although there is less of a chance they will speak English the further off the beaten path you go.

The trip up from Maine will take you through New Brunswick, the scenery doesn't really get interesting until you are about an hour south of Rimouski, Quebec. From Rimouski to Montreal it is all straight, divided highway cruising and there are a couple of nice mountains to scope out as you ride along.

You'll cross into Ontario at Cornwall and will probably want to take the bridge over to Ogdensburg, NY, if you want to see the best of the Adirondack region. Be aware that this bridge is open metal grate all the way across and it will cause your bike to shimmy a bit from side to side... and don't look down unless you have a strong stomach. The open metal grates at speed give the illusion that you're flying through the air because you can clearly see the river way below and underneath you.
Ben M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006   #5

The open metal grates at speed give the illusion that you're flying through the air because you can clearly see the river way below and underneath you.

Now that would be cool!!! I'd love to experience that. No open grate bridges anywhere near me.
redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006   #6

This weekend I watched a TV show called Trippin on two wheels. They rode bikes through a large part of Quebec. Beautiful country. It looked like a great trip. It was on the Speed network.
Ramond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006   #7

I used to live near Utica, NY and have visited the areas you asked about. Montreal is a big city with lots to see and do, but I liked "Old" Montreal section the best - very similar to being in Europe. You should walk around and enjoy a restaurant in that old section in the summer. Street artists, etc. Very fun.

I thought Lake Placid was a little boring, but it was interesting to see the ski jump hill and the luge. You might want to visiti the Adirondack Museum near Blue Mountain Lake if you like the Adirondacks.

Personally, I would recommend going from Montreal on up to Quebec City instead. The ride is a little boring, but Old Quebec City is great also. It would be like riding to Europe.
woodnymph20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012   #8

I did back in 2004 then i came back for my graduation stuff in CA but dwas a awesome tour.
Rossi is offline   Reply With Quote