Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Cycle Chaos > Cyclechaos Forums > Types of Bikes > Vintage > 1969 HONDA CB750 IGNITION SWITCH

1969 HONDA CB750 IGNITION SWITCH

This is a discussion on 1969 HONDA CB750 IGNITION SWITCH within the Vintage forums, part of the Types of Bikes category; The ignition switch that came with the bike is damaged with the cylinder loose from the switch. I bought another ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2006   #1

Default 1969 HONDA CB750 IGNITION SWITCH

The ignition switch that came with the bike is damaged with the cylinder loose from the switch. I bought another switch and would like to use the original cylinder so the key will match the fork lock. Anyone know how to remove the cylinder and installing without breaking anything?
whridenour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006   #2

No idea. You got yourself quite a rare bike there though.
Dr Harry W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006   #3

The ignition switch that came with the bike is damaged with the cylinder loose from the switch. I bought another switch and would like to use the original cylinder so the key will match the fork lock. Anyone know how to remove the cylinder and installing without breaking anything?

Take the new ignition switch to a locksmith, give them your old key, and they should be able to re-key the lock. I had a tank key and a different ignition key, and had them matched for $30 plus a Starbucks coffee. They just match the tumbler settings to the key, not a tough job for an old-school locksmith. Don't go for the big ads in the yellow pages, look for a shop that's been around since they discovered fire.

Reminds me, I need to re-key my CB350K3.
Joseph P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006   #4

Sounds like a good idea and I will go to the locksmith. Would hate to mess up a rare switch that regularly goes for over $300.00 on Ebay.
Thanks all.
whridenour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010   #5

Default Recessed ignition repair.

You can do it yourself if you are handy. I don't think a locksmith will do it as they don't know how to take the back of the lock appart.

The rear of the lock has three indents that hold the housing together. You need to pry two of them out to release the pig tail.
Many ignitions that have been dismantled in this way have ugly scrape marks from the pliers sliping several times.
If you cut a tooth on the end of a good set of needle nose pliers this will prevent the sliping and result in a very minor tool mark on the two tabs that you will be working on.
Perhaps beveling the opposite jaw would minimize or eliminate this tool mark.
Something I'll try on the next one I work on.
I can go into more detail about restoring these locks if you'd like or I can also do the work for you if you'd like.

I charge $30.00 for dismantle, cleaning, and re-assembly plus parts.
Sounds like you already have the parts.

Another option is to find a replacement fork lock and or re-key one that you already have. If the first # matches your lock after the T you have one that will work. Example T6477 has the same cylinder but different tumblers as T6555. If you do this your fork lock will have a mismatched key # on it but it will work with your ignition key and no one will crawl under the bike to check anyways.

Soory it took so long to post a reply but I just found this site and thread while searching for recessed keys.

christopher_noel92@hotmail.com

Last edited by chrisnoel; 10-05-2010 at 09:46 AM.
chrisnoel is offline   Reply With Quote