Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Cycle Chaos > Cyclechaos Forums > Types of Bikes > Vintage > Classify a cafe racer..

Classify a cafe racer..

This is a discussion on Classify a cafe racer.. within the Vintage forums, part of the Types of Bikes category; Ok, I understand that a "sport bike" is determined by foot position relative to center line of body. Well in ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2006   #1

Default Classify a cafe racer..

Ok, I understand that a "sport bike" is determined by foot position relative to center line of body. Well in a lot of the cafe racer style bike I've seen, there is a significant lean forward of the upper body, but the feet are also put pretty far forward. Does anyone have one, and can they tell me how it is classified on insurance? And can the configuration of the bike be altered to fit whatever style one wishes?

-R.
Chyma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006   #2

Cafe bikes were sportbikes before the term "sportbike" was coined.
Back in the day, prior to 1980-81 that is, there were basically only a couple of styles of bikes manufactured. The big cruiser or American style V-Twin, and the universal motorcycle which was sub-divided into street and high pipe scrambler built by European and Japanese companies. Small scooter based bikes such as Honda Cubs and Dreams not accounted for here. Owners would then customize their bike to fit their individual desires the "cafe" style being the lean forward on "clubman" bars with a few actually having cutom homemade rearsets as commercially available rearsets were a rarity and made for very few Makes and Models most usually the Italian bikes.
alanfreefall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006   #3

Cafe is really what you make of it. According to insurance, it may be a 1977 CB550. But we put clubmans, or clip ons, a more square longer tank, custom make a shorter lighter seat, put rear sets or remove the mirrors and blinkers. I dont think you need to tell the insurance its a cafe style cb, just that its a cb. These bikes were made by people back in the day for jetting from one cafe to the next, and maybe elsewhere. Its a coined name for the intention of what the bike was used for. By removing everything you can that isnt essential, you can get lighter, more responsive and more agile bikes designed to get from one place to the next ASAP.
mema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006   #4

Good info. thanks!
Pig Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012   #5

stereotypically a "cafe racer" does have a haunched forward appearance doue to the longer tank and slimmer look of bike. foot pegs are still presented forward due to a mod of the cruiser. the seat makes you sit comfortably in the forward position if you get a unique one with a bit more cushion riding up on the back of it. tail lights have been configured in some cool ways, you can mod them however you want really, the straight bar look kinda fattens the rear end and am not a huge fan, i like the little sideplates that look almost flush to the body.
point of insurance i would say is go on the bike frame and vin as thats what insurance companies ask for. just like a car, a civic is a civic, but you can drop a mean dohc engine four speed trans turbo with suspension package to make it a rally, its still a civic.
cafecruiser is offline   Reply With Quote