Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

New guy!!

This is a discussion on New guy!! within the Vintage forums, part of the Types of Bikes category; After wanting a bike since I was a kid, I finally picked up my first one. Its an '82 Suzuki ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2006   #1

Default New guy!!

After wanting a bike since I was a kid, I finally picked up my first one. Its an '82 Suzuki Gs550 M, needs a little work but it should'nt be long. I was already looking for goodies for it and I admit im lost i cant find anything! So anybody that knows anything about these thing feel free to help. Will post pics as I get them
Ken F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006   #2

Default New guy!!

Welcome to the forum. I have a 1978 Honda 750A as a project bike and I am looking for others. I don't know much about Suzi's from the early 80's
me16740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011   #3

Default 82 Suzuki Gs550 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken F View Post
After wanting a bike since I was a kid, I finally picked up my first one. Its an '82 Suzuki Gs550 M, needs a little work but it should'nt be long. I was already looking for goodies for it and I admit im lost i cant find anything! So anybody that knows anything about these thing feel free to help. Will post pics as I get them
This is a great bike, especially if you are not very tall. It has been quite popular, so your chances to find parts are higher. Still, it will be quite hard to find Suzuki motorcycles parts after 30 years. Google and Ebay may be your best friends. Anderson Vintage Parts - Genuine Suzuki Motorcycle Replacement Parts may have some answers to your needs too. Replacement mufflers (compatible, not OEM) are available.

"Needs little work" may include a rare commodity: vintage bike parts.

My main advise would be to try locating a parts bike wth a running engine locally. Old new OEM stock is very hard to find, especially engine parts. Refurbishing such a vintage engine is not economical, considering the difficult task to order all required parts including shipping costs. It is a good idea to stock on critical components such as ignition and carb parts that are often available on Ebay.

Keeping a vintage bike running requires that you get the service manual and learn how to do your own maintenance and repair as much as possible.

I'm running a Honda CM400 1980 for a few years. It is just right for a couple of hours rides alone or with a passenger. I appreciate how easy it is to handle. I also have an identical bike just for parts. Last year, an oil gasket failed on the 1980 engine. I finished the season with the 1979 engine. Repairs on the 1980 engine will require about 8 hours of work but I collected all required parts over the years. I've got spare tires, clutch, starter, name it. I feel this is the way to go if you want to ride on a vintage bike without spending more than buying a new one.

Good luck on your new adventure !

Martin
Old 02-12-2011   #4

Welcome to the forum. The 550's were nice bikes. OEM parts can be hard to find sometimes. Accessories almost impossible.
recycledcycles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012   #5

Well i did saw them on google.
Rossi is offline   Reply With Quote