Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Cycle Chaos > Cyclechaos Forums > Types of Bikes > Choppers > 250 on LSD question?

250 on LSD question?

This is a discussion on 250 on LSD question? within the Choppers forums, part of the Types of Bikes category; I am thinking of building a rigid chopper with a LSD and running a 250. I have heard mixed opinions ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2006   #1

Default 250 on LSD question?

I am thinking of building a rigid chopper with a LSD and running a 250. I have heard mixed opinions on this set up. Some say it will pull hard to the left and feel weird and that I need a RSD. Others say it may lean a little at slow speed but will not be an issue at cruising speeds. I would like to get some opinions from people here that have a similar set up. Thanks!
Fedpolice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006   #2

I have a 300mm LSD and ther is no problem with large tires . Unless you are talking dyno numbers only. The extra weight will reduce output a little. I have run 200mm ~300mm and the wider the better. If you are ready to go wide Go all the way ,Larger than a 250mm. that was cool 3 years ago. 280,300,330 is where it is at now . Next year will be 400mm. Have you seen one of those? They are wider than they are tall .
dsan D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006   #3

Mike,

thanks for the input, glad to hear the wide tires are rideable on a LSD frame. i was originally going to go 200 but wanted something a little tougher looking so i settled on a carolina customs 250 rigid chopper frame. 300-360 is too wide IMO. its all good though! BTW, do you run a chain or belt?
Old 06-11-2006   #4

Yea,alot of wide tires out there.I run a 300mm with a 580 chain on LSD with no problems except I cannot stop melting the tire off the rim when I get excited.I like those 4th gear dounut burn outs ! Big black circle in front of your hotel to mark your spot.:D
Aaron Horne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006   #5

Atta boy!! Cant wait to lite mine up. Got along way to go, just got the frame and will piece it together, gonna take awhile but I want to get feedback from others so I only have to do shit once. Are you running a big inch motor? Does the chain need adjusting frequently? What about a belt with a 120"c.i.? I've heard people say its no problem and i've heard others say you'll break belts and you need a chain.
Old 06-12-2006   #6

I run a 580 o ring chain and you will start breaking belts over 100hp . I have a 100ci twin cam with 116 HP dual carbs and hellbent pipes .You have an 8.5"wide wheel ? Or running a 10.5?you can run upto a 280mm on a 10.5 they are real nice maybe 12" fender . Check out Demon cycles thats where I get alot of my parts for less $.
Barbara S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006   #7

Chain seems the way to go. Do they stretch alot when you ride hard? I've seen Demon's prices look good.
Old 06-13-2006   #8

Hey,Iv found that if you use a laser to align your sprockets perfectly you will have minimal chain streach after the first ajustment.If you look around you can find a little laser for 40 bucks they attach to the links on the chain . Really useful on high HP machines,You will have less rolling resistance as well so use the right tools for the job.I like a chain but will tell you the honest truth about going from a belt to a chain.First is that it will streach some but thats easy to ajust and with a laser no guess work.Second You will hear the chain making a little noise you are not used to if you run a belt now.Also you will notice a small vibration unless you install a spring loaded roller chain tensioner.And third you will have more dirt and gunk on you sprockets so use a good o-ring chain lub and only a little bit.Chains are stronger and retro cool. Good luck.
greenday4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006   #9

I like the laser idea, cant go wrong there. I do like the retro look of a chain and they make some nice colored ones to go with the paint. Thanks bro!