Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Cycle Chaos > Cyclechaos Forums > Types of Bikes > Choppers > Forum protection from spam

Forum protection from spam

This is a discussion on Forum protection from spam within the Choppers forums, part of the Types of Bikes category; It's become a big problem for forum owners to protect them from spam. Automated programs are sending their ads in ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2006   #1

Default Forum protection from spam

It's become a big problem for forum owners to protect them from spam.
Automated programs are sending their ads in huge quantities today.

We're small community of coders, upgrading forum's source code to prevent spam-programs to post ads at your forums.

Our technique is probably one of the best. There's no need in such ugly methods as 'capcha' or 'secret question'.
For average user there would not be any visible effects. No need to make e-mail activation (that usually makes number of successful registrations less), no even need to make your users register at forums to post messages.

More info only at icq: 448759872
Send messages even if not logged in.
Jonasz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006   #2

How ironic is this message...? A spammer spamming about spam.
deadloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006   #3

How ironic is this message...? A spammer spamming about spam.

That was my first thought. Is that like security companies hiring ex-cons to teach them how to prevent theft?

http://opcug.ca/public/Reviews/Graphics/monty_python_spam.jpg
glenburnfire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006   #4

Everyone wants to make a living off the net I guess... Start spamming a site then offer spam protection... I would have deleted his post without thought except for the responses it got. We've probably deleted 250 spam posts in the past year before anyone even saw them, only takes half a minute. The number of spam posts have dropped steadily over the past year. Again, I caution all members to have good firewall protection before visiting any sites promoted by others.
nuitdevotremort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006   #5

Well, no wonder how I was getting all these emails...
One of them had a subject " Motorcycleforum.com"
When I clicked on it... went directly to god knows what Site ...
The site offered me to download a clip ... which I didnt ... as I knew that it was Spyware ...

Guys: Please donot click on any link ... be it the forum name ... or the most commonly used websites...

I had expierenced similar problems in the past and I had to erase all the Database of the website :(

I searched for the answer how ... these Spammers get the email IDs of a community ...
It was simple but tricky .. No solutions but just hide the member list from the forum :D .... it actually works...

@MaicoShark: take my advise, just taken the rights off member list mails, simple solution and effective ... which I had to do on mysite
chewbac63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006   #6

Rider I don't own this site and do very little in the way of technical stuff. I delete spam posts and try to answer questions from newbies and chat with old pals like yourself. Stictly volunteer out of enjoyment of bikes and bikers. So far as I know, our members list is not given out or accessed by others. I've never sent out an email to any member and the owner seldom visits here. I'd hate to delete the list in case I'd ever want to alert our members about something or other. Spam hasn't been much of a problem outside of the Repair Forum.
guy o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006   #7

I would like to let you know that your computer might have adware or spyware on it, could you please download my keystroke program so that I can tell what you are typing and I will send you a report on the keywords that the spammers are using to target you. Any takers? laugh. The irony is alarming.
Rudy H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006   #8

I simply cannot believe he talked about spamming and then proceeded to spam right here.
Nadeem N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006   #9

^ even more ironic...
Dogger Bank is offline   Reply With Quote