Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Cycle Chaos > Cyclechaos Forums > Types of Bikes > Choppers > I liked them better when they Started

I liked them better when they Started

This is a discussion on I liked them better when they Started within the Choppers forums, part of the Types of Bikes category; When OCC first started, they had a shop like most of us can identify with. They used Craftsman tools, and ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2006   #1

Default I liked them better when they Started

When OCC first started, they had a shop like most of us can identify with. They used Craftsman tools, and they worked with coats on in the winter. You could see their breath as they were talking.

They farmed out some of their work and caught some heat over that. So now they own the machines to do it all, but they still have to hire people with the training to run the new machines. So they still are not doing the work, but it seems to be OK with most people. I have trouble understand the logic to that... If they send it away for someone else to do it = bad. But if they have someone do it with the same machine in their shop=good.

Paul Sr. has a style all of his own and I like it. But he seems lost when it comes to using a wrench now.

Paul Jr. has the most talent for designing a bike I have ever seen.

Vinnie seems to be doing a lot of the wiring and mechanical work.

Rick is one of the quietest guys there but has tons of talent. He makes finished parts from bare metal. The seems no end to what he an do.

Mikey is a space cadet.

OCC seems to become more corporate everyday. I miss the days that they were a small shop.

Paul Sr.
kz1000g
suga Hunii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006   #2

I like them when they fight. Other than that I generally don't watch the show. I like the Milwaukee Iron guys they had on there some time ago better or Jesse James even though some people call him a sell out now. I figure what the hell, he got an opertunity to make some serious money off his name and he took it.

I bet that old Paul could kick young Paul's ass.
jdnewby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006   #3

OCC seems to become more corporate everyday. I miss the days that they were a small shop.

I agree. They seemed like regular folk when they were a small shop. I have never been an OCC junky, but any more it seems more like they are acting than really being themselves.

At first it was a family'ish show... Paul sr's wife was even on there once or twice... where is she now?
BUCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006   #4

I agree. They seemed like regular folk when they were a small shop. I have never been an OCC junky, but any more it seems more like they are acting than really being themselves.

At first it was a family'ish show... Paul sr's wife was even on there once or twice... where is she now?

Paul's exwife Paula is still around. From what I understand Paula came up with most of the ideas for the OCC line of clothing. Again, from what I understand she owns a large interest in that clothing line.

Paul Sr.
kz1000g
suga Hunii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006   #5

I liked the show at the start too. For example, the Jet Bike show, this was one of the best shows as far as I'm concerned. Back in the early days, you the viewer were able to watch the show and actually learn something from them. Now you just end up with broken glass on your living room floor. Don't get me wrong I watch the show when I can but now it's geared toward the average Joe/Jane for the ratings and not for the motorcycle gearhead. Motorcycle Mania was another show you could learn from or the earlier Biker Build Off shows. This is what I like about a show. Something you can take out in the garage and give it a shot the next time you play with metal, paint ect.
TeddyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006   #6

I agree...used to have a small custom shop of my own and could identify with the show. Lost interest when Paul Jr began using obviously scripted lines and fights with the old man seemed phoney and just for effect. The whole time element seems stupid. It takes as long as it takes to do the job but it adds drama and it's the drama that draws the non-biking crowd I guess.
gaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006   #7

I used to watch alot but, the tension in the family is not there anymore.
I'll go back and watch the old episodes.
bokonon1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006   #8

I still think the best part is when they were screwin' around in the lot and Pauly backed into the old Paul's Expedition and they tore the bumper off with a chain tryin' to get it off the tire. Seems to me he drove that thing for quite a few episodes like that too like a normal guy would have.
aaaltered468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006   #9

I'm impressed with the fact that they are still around at all. You can imagine what an impact it must have been to rebound from all that sudden fame... not to mention the money. After awhile, you start believing all the media hype of how wonderful and fantastic you are. Much like winning the lottery. Most people who do, have nothing but a sad rags to riches back to rags story. So far, not only have they prevailed, but evolved as well. I don't care for the current show format either, like a lot of past viewers, I more enjoy the back to basics approach. It seems only a matter of time before the flavor of the day fizzles into a note worthy entry in the media vault to be replayed in some future rerun on the History Channel. I say this with just a small bit of envy because as luck, fate, or just happenstance would have it, their shop is just a short drive down the NY Northway from my shop. I'm sure I'm not alone as there are a number of custom bike shops like mine just a short distance from them that have toiled over these machine for decades. Like the boys at OCC, we do it because we all share a common passion. Bikes. Rolling sculptures of self expression and for some, an outlet for their alter ego. I think the OCC gang deserve a great deal of credit just for surviving all the pitfalls of sudden fame and fortune and yet still maintain a clear vision of their objectives and goals not only as a company but as a family.
My 2 cents worth,
Capt.
race goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006   #10

I agree, I feel they have lost there edge, but I dont think it's because of the success I think its because of the fame.
In early shows when they would do projects they actually seemed nervous about pulling it off, now they take everything in stride, partly because they know now biz will always come.
I think the discovery channel should make another bike or chopper show of a different name and change shops every season, that way they could make 2 shows out of it, but one always fresh.
Infact they could open a shop and just do a search for every gearhead, welder, graphic artist and shade tree mechanic in the country to show up and be voted on, so one show is them picking the crew and the other is the crew that won in the last season and play the shows back to back.

I would also like to see a spin off of american chopper, that deals with a shop that sups up and pimps out sportbikes, there are places throughout the country that do that, I used to streetrace when I was younger.

And I would love to host the show;-)
Thanks capt this thread gave me an idea for a future post on my blog.
http://www.urbanbiker.co.nr/
Kookoo H is offline   Reply With Quote