Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Cycle Chaos > Cyclechaos Forums > Types of Bikes > Motocross > Does Ricky Carmichael race bikes or cars?

Does Ricky Carmichael race bikes or cars?

This is a discussion on Does Ricky Carmichael race bikes or cars? within the Motocross forums, part of the Types of Bikes category; It's time for some new meats on the 929. I have decided to go with the Metz M1's. Now comes ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2006   #1

Default I need some help please

It's time for some new meats on the 929. I have decided to go with the Metz M1's. Now comes the problem.

I stopped by the local dealership (Honda + Harley:mad ) and they are charging :eek $55:eek per wheel to change tires if the wheels are still on the bike. WTF. That's a lot.

The price is $25 if the wheels are off the bike. I already have a Pit Bull rear stand. Should I get a front triple tree stand and take the wheels off myself or just bend over and take the whole bike in??

Keep in mind that I have never taken the wheels off of a bike before. This would be a whole new experience. Plus, I don't want to F-up anything, like proper chain tention.

I am really picky when it comes to my baby. Could anyone elaberate on wheel removal? I did a search and found a thread for front tire removal. That did not seem to bad, remove caliper and main pin. But how about the rear?

I figured that if I spent the money for a front stand, it will pay for itself in a few tire changes.

Any opinions would be great.
V0S0T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006   #2

well, that $55 is 1 hr labor according to book, and it'll prolly take at least 1/2hr to do the job, so it's not unreasonable...

i say, since i have SSS, make 2 trips, take the ft wheel off (1 trip) put it back on and bring the whole bike....or vice versa...:D
nazimuddin b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006   #3

to takeoff you front wheel, remove your lower fairings, and place a block of wood on a jack. Place the jack on the right side of the motor with the bike on the kickstand, then jackit up enough to get the wheel off the ground.
that is how I do it.(you do need to have the rar wheel on still, so it would not help your situaton.

In your case, a afront stand would be a good investment.
geno m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006   #4

Since you're really picky about your baby, I'd recomend the first thing you do is get a factory service manual. Even if you decide not to do major service on your bike, there's a lot of accurate information in there on your bike. It's a great investment.

The following is off the top of my head with no manual or bike to look at...

Since you already have the rear stand, the wheel removal goes something like this... loosen up the axle nut, remove axle. The blocks for chain adjustment will come out, along with the spacers. The caliper will have to slip out too... it fits in a slot on the inside of the swingarm. You have to push the wheel forward to slip the chain off the sprocket. Then the rear tire is free. Do be careful because the tire will contact the lower faring on the way out and you don't want to break anything there. The sprocket comes out of the wheel (with some dificulty), and the little rubber cush drives. Take it in and get your new tire installed and balanced. Check to verify that they mounted the tire in the correct rotation (the arrows should go in the same direction the tire rotates).

Installation is similar to removal. It would be helpful to have a second person there for your first time... or have some blocks of wood to shim the tire up so it's in line with the swingarm. Do a dry fit of the rear brake without the wheel in place so you can see how it fits in the slot in the swingarm. Put everything back the same way it came apart. Put a little grease on the axle before you slip it in place. Be sure to torque the axle nut properly... there's no cotter pin.

Any questions, and help is as close as your computer.

One thing I've learned (finally) is most shops really don't do a great job of working on motorcycles. The mechanics really don't make a whole lot of money, and they put the beginners on tire changes. For me, I'd much rather take my time working on my own bike so I know it's done right.
mybuttstinks2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006   #5

Default Does Ricky Carmichael race bikes or cars?

I am not sure whether it is the fault of Michael Jordan or what, but all of the good guys seem to think that they want a new sprts carre. Ricky Carmichael cut out on us in 06 to ride a 4 wheeler, but I guess that he is trying to sneak back little by little. He makes it sound like motocross was just not exciting enough for him, so he went off to race stock cars.

But it seems that he is poking his head back into motocross through his POSSIBLE entries into the Camping World West Series.

Is this going to be like Ozzy's last album or Britney Spear's last boyfriend/ Is he really looking to stop his car racing and come back to where he belongs? Or is he just too stubborn?
Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006   #6

Travis Pastrana was racing rally cars for awhile. I don't know if Carmicheals is going to stick with cars or not.
Lone W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006   #7

last I heard Pastrana was still racing rally cars, and doing quite well.
Damian Jr M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006   #8

Yes, Pastrana still races rally cars.
Mahatma Coat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006   #9

all these guys are just adrenaline junkies :)
i dont blame them or am surprised they try different things.
Isis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006   #10

Motocross champion Jeff Ward retired from MX and did well in Formula One racing. It wasn't so much that he was bored with the sport, just that he'd pretty much been at the summit for so long and had held about every title there was....there was really nothing more to do. He loved to race and simply moved on to a new racing challenge. I'm guessing RC is much the same as Ward but Pastrana...I think he just gets bored easily and goes on to something different. I think he's all about the rush and really doesn't care how he gets it.
Globalwide Insurance is offline   Reply With Quote