Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Cycle Chaos > Cyclechaos Forums > Types of Bikes > Motocross > looking for dirtbike

looking for dirtbike

This is a discussion on looking for dirtbike within the Motocross forums, part of the Types of Bikes category; I've always wanted a dirt bike, but now have started to get into it more and more. My dad said ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2006   #1

Default looking for dirtbike

I've always wanted a dirt bike, but now have started to get into it more and more. My dad said he'll pay 2,000$ or less for a bike for me and i was wondering what I should get. I'm about 5'8" 170lb and pretty good at mountain biking (i don't know if that counts for anything on a dirt bike) and also i've ridden ATVs before so it wouldn't be my first time on something with a motor or anything.
gilletto86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006   #2

I tell you what, see if you can find a Honda XR200 or XR250. That would make you an excellent dirt bike. Easy to ride and will go damn near anywhere. You should be able to find one of those for that price. Other ones to look at are the Suzuki DR 200 - 250 or the Yamaha TT,XT, or TT-R's in around the 200cc size and the KLX series from Kawasaki. Anything 4 stroke and made in Japan or Europe will work great. Avoid the cheap Chinese made bikes you see on Ebay, you might need a part and don't feel like waitin' 6 months for a stupid cable. If you want a 2 stroke look for a Kawasaki KDX, they came in 200cc and 220cc. Any of the KTM or Husqvarna enduro bikes are real good too. Older ones include the Yamaha IT line of bikes with the best ones being the 200cc. Real old Yamaha Enduro's were great trail machines then and still are. Motocross bikes (designated with KX,RM,YZ, CR for the Japanese ones) can be trail ridden but they are a pain to trail ride, especially the 125's. Not sayin' someone can't do it, I did it for a long while on a RM125, but it's not easy and they tend to need maintained more.
cody h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006   #3

where would you reccomend looking for anything of those you just listed, or for any dirtbike?
gilletto86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006   #4

Local newspapers, auto locator papers, traders guides. You know the papers you get that have classifieds in them. Online you can look at Craigslist.org, Ebay as long as it's local and you can see it before you bid. Motorcycle shops.
emmblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006   #5

Real old Yamaha Enduro's were great trail machines then and still are.

You're making me miss my old AT3. It wasn't fast and didn't have much suspension travel, but it was a torque monster. We'd ride two up and it would haul 350 lbs of us up any hill you could throw at it. Ring-ding-ding-ding-ding-ding-ding........

Had a sticker on it that said "I may be slow, but I'm ahead of you."
CraigRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006   #6

Sorry about that but I wish I had a whole shed full of the old Enduros. I had an MX175 and a TY175 trials bike back in my teenage years. The Trials would climb about anything. My wife's uncle has a few of the old Yamaha TY's and he actually does race them in vintage trials. Her grandpap has an old 125 Enduro in his barn he uses just to go back and forth to his tree hut for deer hunting.
Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006   #7

Just buy a 4 stroke, it will be easier to ride if you want to putt around. Plus it won`t be as loud so you can ride in a shit load more places without getting the cops called on you! I rode 2 strokes from the time my Uncle bought me a new Elsinore 125, and it was silver with a red strip on the tank so you figure the years up

It took some getting use to but I have an XR400R now, and it one smooth running and riding s.o.b......................
emma a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006   #8

4 Stokes dirt bikes are way faster, more reliable than 2-stokes. So I'd go with a 250F, pick a brand that u like..
Nadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006   #9

Hello i'm Carmen and i'm from romania but i'm working for a company from us :) This company is selling acesory for dirt bike and new cool producst :) So for the peoples who are intrested in buying a bike i will whrite here the size for age
50cc = 5-8 years
85cc=8-15 years
125, 250, 450cc =16 and more .... 100 years lol well is to much but if u are able to ride a dirt bike on 100 years old is ok :)

Mod Note: removed email addr.
Speedbuggy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006   #10

Just buy a 4 stroke, it will be easier to ride if you want to putt around. Plus it won`t be as loud so you can ride in a shit load more places without getting the cops called on you! I rode 2 strokes from the time my Uncle bought me a new Elsinore 125, and it was silver with a red strip on the tank so you figure the years up

It took some getting use to but I have an XR400R now, and it one smooth running and riding s.o.b......................

I think it's kind of silly to try and generalize about noise levels or cops getting called or whatever. There are many relatively quiet two strokes out there, or at least there once were many. There are many really annoying and loud 4 strokes out there too, especially with aftermarket exhausts.

I would generally say that two strokes are finicky and unforgiving machines to ride, but they'll teach you a lot of lessons about proper clutching and shifting. They frequently don't last as long as a 4 stroke but I've racked up quite a few miles on both of my two strokes and only one of those has ever been apart (mainly due to age and sitting, it needed main seals). I've used my '74 Suzuki TS 125 to teach many friends fundamental riding techniques.

My advice is buy whatever you feel comfortable sitting on and balancing in the 125-250cc range. Don't worry too much about the specifics when you start, just find something you'd be comfortable learning to ride on and try to buy it.

If you don't like to constantly tinker and fix your motorcycles, buy something (generally) 1990 or newer with low miles/hours. If you're a good mechanic and you like fixing things, you can buy something vintage if that appeals to you. I pretty much only ride old bikes off the road. People like to down the technology of old, but it's still very effective, even if it will no longer win races. It's also a lot harder on your body, but I know I for one am too young to pull out that excuse. :D

Personally, I'd rather steer you towards any of the "big four" Japanese brands for starters. Parts are available and most of their designs are fairly bulletproof.

Additionally, consider a dual sport motorcycle. When you graduate to riding the road, you'll already have a start towards being able to zip around backroads if you buy something like a DR 200 or Yamaha XT 225.

When I was 14 my dad bought me my KE 100 Kawasaki. It's a little road legal oil injected 2 stroke. Until I got my permit and ultimately my license, I just rode it in the woods with the mirrors off. I've since put the mirrors on it and ride it on and off the road extensively to this day. While I love my KE 100, I don't know that I recommend it to just anybody. It takes a special kind of (crazy) person like me to really enjoy a bike like that.
ONEBIGDADDY is offline   Reply With Quote