Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

My newest addition

This is a discussion on My newest addition within the Motocross forums, part of the Types of Bikes category; Does anyone know anything about these bikes? How hard is it to get them? I'm looking for bikes for my ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2006   #1

Default cbr 400 rr

Does anyone know anything about these bikes? How hard is it to get them? I'm looking for bikes for my girlfriend that she could learn to ride on then some day race on, since she's interested.

If anyone has any info about these bikes, or where to get them, please help me out!

Thx,

KnK
jaimebergstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006   #2

Default cbr 400 rr

I believe that they were never imported to the States. I believe they were only designed for the Japanese domestic market, but somehow they made their way to the UK, Australia, New Zealand etc.

I think if you wanted one you would have to import it yourself. A real shame, because they are such a great bike!
ryanlaube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006   #3

Default cbr 400 rr

Blackbird's right. They are very rare in the US. I have seen them, and there are companies that import them, but they're grey market bikes.

I'd submit to you that your GF would be better off learning on something that's not so rare.

The CB1 is an awesome 400cc inline four. It's a naked bike, so the accidental tip over will be cheaper for a beginner, and they're pretty good on the track as well. There's a cult following for these bikes, and lots of aftermarket stuff is available. They were only made for two years, so it's not a bike you'll see every day.
swatthefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006   #4

Default cbr 400 rr

I saw on e on Cycletrader.com in the Florida area. Looked really nice in the pic's, but very pricey (@ $6500+ if I remember correctly). They are a gray market item here in the states, so finding one in good shape is very hard. Also check to make sure you can title & register in your area. Some states are very touchy regarding them being street-legal. Also look for NC-30's or NC-35's ...... my buddy has one for his wife, very nice & he picked it up for @ $3500. Good luck in your search.
Sarah C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006   #5

Default cbr 400 rr

I suggest a Bandit 400. They're small, naked, and great starter bikes. I had one as my second bike, and rode that thing all over the West (including the Pacific Coast Highway from San Diego to Oregon and back). They make great Clubman-class racers, too.

They're unusual, but not really rare. Keep an eye on the Cycle Trader and one will turn up.
gary p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006   #6

Default cbr 400 rr

I second the CB1. They are great 400cc Hondas. My friend had one as his first bike, and it is what I learned to ride on...
dennis15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006   #7

Default cbr 400 rr

I've had two CBR400RR's they're small and low on power but big on fun. I remember an article called "Giant Killer's" in some bike rag, ever since then I had to have one. In the twisty stuff I could keep up with the liter bikes but when it came to straight aways you really noticed just how much power power the 4's lacked.

I agree with those that have stated it would be wise to buy a domestic bike. I think a GS or a Bandit or an SV would be a much better buy. Or even an early model 600 FZR
carylbear1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006   #8

Default cbr 400 rr

I'd strongly suggest an 88-91 Hawk GT :thumb The CB1 is a neat bike , but they're hard to find and there's not nearly as much offered for them as ,say , a Hawk or even an FZR400 ( good luck finding a clean , non raced Fizzer but they're EXCELLENT motos if you can scare one up ) . The Bandit 400 is a beautiful machine , but they're horribly unreliable and Suzuki has discontinued most of the parts . I gave up trying to find yet another new head for mine and parted it out . If you can find one that's been VERY well taken care of , it might be worth it but they don't withstand the abuse they so invite . They're not bad bikes , but theres a reason Hawks and FZR 400's are still being raced 13 years on but Bandits and CB1's are few and far between = the Fizzer and NT are just better motos . Find one of either and she'll be happy .
van r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006   #9

Default cbr 400 rr

http://www.greybike.com/index.html
Great place to start some research. Its easier going from Canada to the states than from other countries.
nodamnway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006   #10

Default cbr 400 rr

Thanks for all the replys guys! a big help.

KnK
jaimebergstrom is offline   Reply With Quote