Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Some Advice

This is a discussion on Some Advice within the Motocross forums, part of the Types of Bikes category; Hey fellow motorcycilists, I am a 24 yr old who lives in Sydney, Australia. I have been riding bikes for ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2006   #1

Default Some Advice

Hey fellow motorcycilists,

I am a 24 yr old who lives in Sydney, Australia. I have been riding bikes for awhile now, but my 1st and only bike, a '96 Yamaha XT600 trailbike, was stolen last october. Because it was my 1st bike and it wasnt the most reliable or best looking, it had no insurance, doh. I was on my L's (for the second time!) and have let them expire as I dont have a bike to practice and enjoy with. The XT was a great bike for me. I found that it suited my posture and let me see above the line of traffic. It was easy to ride, not too much power, and I enjoyed it a heck of alot. I used it everyday, about 20kms round trip to work and several other little outings. That said, it was a lemon. It broke down several times and was constantly costing me a fair chunk of cash to keep it running. I still have all my gear and have now booked in my 3rd l's for later next month.

As a result, I am now looking for a new motorcycle. I am eligable for my P's straight away so power is not really a problem, although I would like to stay in that learner legal range, because I fell its enough power for me, and I wont go insane and kill myself (im really still learning). I need a good commuter and a reliable bike. I also want to have fun on it and the trailbike was good for this reason. (the ability to go off-road) I am not particualary looking for a trail bike as I ride mostly in sydney metro areas. I have around $3,500 to spend but can go a little higher if need be. What would be your guys suggestions? I have seen the New XT crossover bikes, they seem like the sensible choice. Any ideas on that or other makes and kinds of motorcycles that would suit my needs? Any suggestions or directions would be greatly appreciated, as I didnt research my 1st bike and got a lemon. Thanks in advance to anyone able to help.
hanzisfranz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006   #2

Default Some Advice

Well if the XT suited you before you'll probably enjoy the new version but IF I could scrape up $ 3500 I'd probably get a used Sportster (you can actually find them around here for that price)
ambasnakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006   #3

Default Some Advice

mate grab your self an xr400 they are learner leagal and a great bike in the bush and u need to do very litle maintnace to keep them reliable the power comes on nice an easy so that wont be a problem for you either i highly recomend them
:) :) :)
birdy is offline   Reply With Quote