Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Cycle Chaos > Cyclechaos Forums > Manufacturers > Honda > Rebel > 450 Rebel CDI.......

450 Rebel CDI.......

This is a discussion on 450 Rebel CDI....... within the Rebel forums, part of the Honda category; There's a couple past threads on the various trials 'n errors I've had with problems ranging from venting, idle speed ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2008   #1

Default 450 Rebel CDI.......

There's a couple past threads on the various trials 'n errors I've had with problems ranging from venting, idle speed adjustment & electrical.

It's been awhile, but when the outside temperatures started to climb, the problems resurfaced with a vengeance. The CDI is the first component suspected to have gone south here. Theory being that the CDI overheats & either causes problems or gives out entirely.

Finally got a chance to stop in at a local indie shop to price a new CDI. The shop owner didn't want me to spend $$$ needlessly for a CDI if it isn't the actual problem. He also mentioned the possibility of the pulse generator being bad.

He dug out a used CDI that has a known bad spot, being that there's no ignition advance working in this CDI, but he loaned it to me to test fire-up & idle. (Got her to fire-up yesterday, but she only ran very briefly at a questionable idle & then gave it up completely).

Plan is to see if this used CDI will allow fire-up & normal idle. Then will swap it out for the original one & see if it fails again (little doubt there, LMAO!) Hopefully will have a chance to check this out sometime this weekend. Up-date to follow.......

Sure would be nice to get this Rebel back on the road where it belongs :wink:
james g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008   #2

An old troubleshooting trick on the Ford fender mounted ignition module was to pour ice water on it. You drove it till it failed then used the ice water. If it fired back up you bought a new ignition module. :) I don't know how accessible the cdi is on the 450 but it might be worth a shot.

Dan
pistachios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008   #3

Thanx, Dan.......Interesting that you mention the Ford Electronic Ignition Module as I've replaced several of those, definitely a weak spot on the old Fords.

Have also read of people using some type of spray-freeze or whatever it's actually called, to cool down a suspect component, which is essentially the same principle as using ice water.

Seems like this used CDI should do the trick as far as trouble-shooting the original CDI. If she fires & idles on the used one, but not on the original, it'll be a fairly good indicator that the original CDI needs replacing & it was very cool of the shop owner to loan it to me. Tho' even as he mentioned yesterday "At least you'd know that you've gotten ONE possible electrical problem solved", LMAO!
Old 07-19-2008   #4

Finally rolled the Rebel into the shop to trouble-shoot the CDI.

Pulled both spark plugs one at a time & with the original CDI, tested for spark. No spark on right plug, had spark on left plug. Bike wouldn't fire.

Swapped out to the used CDI. In the process of removing the mounting plate for the CDI that attaches to a tab welded to the frame, the friggin' tab either broke off or was already broken. Pretty sure Honda welded that tab on with silly putty, I'll use JB Weld to repair it.

Didn't pull the plugs this time, just hit the starter button & she fired right up, idled nice 'n smooth, let her run for about 5 mins. Swapped it back out for the original, she'd either not fire or fire & quit. The longest she stayed running before giving it up was about 20 seconds.

Soooooo.......will be ordering a new CDI & hope to get this Rebel back on the road in the near future.

While the gas tank was off, poured the old fuel into containers to use for parts cleaning. Removed the petcock, found some sediment in the petcock cup, the screen looked pretty good.

Also drained the float bowls on the carbs. Hopefully, when the new CDI comes in, fresh fuel & some SeaFoam might be all that's needed for these carbs.
Old 07-20-2008   #5

Cool!
Great troubleshooting. Nice and systematic just as it should be. Good call on the fuel too. Sounds like you are on the way to a running bike.

Dan
sgbennett2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008   #6

Thanx, Dan.....and I'm also grateful to the indie shop owner who lent me the used CDI to check this out before spending the bread.

I suspect the CDI was j-u-s-t starting to get questionable from the time I bought the bike. Hard to tell, as I'd been working thru some venting probs as well. Thought it was doing O.K. & got plenty of saddle-time throughout the winter months, but once the outside temps started climbing above 70*, the CDI progressively got worse & worse & until finally going south.

When she was actin' up, it was always a crap-shoot as to if she'd fire-up after a shutdown, start firing intermittently while in motion or just quit unexpectedly (usually at lower speeds) On cooler days, she'd run like a top & was/is a blast to ride!
Old 07-22-2008   #7

That's great you finally found the problem!! Kinda suspected it as you did.
Willie M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008   #8

Yo Snorey........I actually was torn between fuel and/or electrical probs being the cause, but both you & Howard had me convinced that it was the CDI & sure eough, you were right on! I'd walked into the indie shop to actually inquire about ordering the CDI, but the shop owner (friend) wanted me to check it out just to be double sure. Said he'd seen people throw $100 bill after $100 bill on a bike recklessly when a little trouble-shooting could have saved 'em some bucks.

Once this Reb is rockin' 'n rollin' again, I can start to bear down on the recently acquired chop......YES! LOL!
Old 07-24-2008   #9

Rode down to the indie shop & returned the borrowed CDI (used), then ordered a new one, should arrive in about a week. Mentioned the one online for $85 the day I was in there inquiring about it & he called his parts source while I was standing there......$125. Decided to order from him, despite the cheaper price online. Aside from the CDI gradually going south, this Rebel has been well worth the price of admission & I like to support the local indie shops.

This'll give me time to install a new final drive chain, JB Weld that mounting bracket tab & already re-shot the gas tank with several touch-up coats of rattle-can.

Should be rockin' 'n rollin' again with the Reb sometime next week! :wink: