Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Cycle Chaos > Cyclechaos Forums > Manufacturers > Honda > Rebel > Almost useless Helmet Lock!

Almost useless Helmet Lock!

This is a discussion on Almost useless Helmet Lock! within the Rebel forums, part of the Honda category; About a month ago I purchased a 2004 Rebel 250 with under 1400 miles. It had a backrest, saddlebags, and ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2008   #1

Default Almost useless Helmet Lock!

About a month ago I purchased a 2004 Rebel 250 with under 1400 miles. It had a backrest, saddlebags, and a windshield. I did change the windshield and put the Silhouette clear fairing on the Rebel from my old CB 200T. It works great! All I had to do was lower the turn signals to make it fit. I have ridden it almost 500 mi. already and like it more each day. One thing really bugs me though. The helmet lock is on the low side when leaning on the kick stand. There is not enough clearance to accept the ring on my helmet easily, and then the helmet hangs down against the hot muffler. What am I missing here? How do some of you cope with this problem?

Thanks,

Irvlair in Ohio
freakboynv2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008   #2

Try putting the back fooy peg down and resting your helmet on that to keep it off the muffler. It really could have been a little higher. Hey guess what? This is my first time giving advice about motorcycles :lol: S it is up to you if you want to try it or not. Not sure I would listen to me seeing that I am still riding in parking lots :oops: :D
liljewel44053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008   #3

Thanks for the tip Teesee. I have tried to use the passenger peg which may help a little.

BTW Teesee, you will know when it is time to go beyond the parking lot! I've ridden over 150,000 miles so I will go about anywhere by now!

Good luck with your cycling experience.

Irvlair
freakboynv2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008   #4
WAD

I think most of us either don't use the helmet lock or pretend that it's easier. If I'm just running in for a short errand and/or am in a good neighborhood I just hang the helmet off my right hand grip. I too use the rear foot peg when using the helmet lock. I also rarely lock mine unless I'm in a rough neighborhood because then I don't have to fight with the key to get the helmet back off (for me, that's much worse than fighting to get the D ring on).

There was a similar thread a few days back: http://www.hondarebelforum.com/phpBB...pic.php?t=527. Check out the link in NuBiker's post. I think that's a cool idea...may just have to get me one some day. Until then, I'll just deal with the annoyances the helmet lock brings. That thread also has a few other ideas too.

Gabe
WAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008   #5

Welcome aboard, Irvlair & thanx for motivating teesee to get her feet a bit wetter......hehehe.... :wink:

If you look at the subject listing in this section & scroll down, you'll see the subject "Helmet Holder" posted by migman.....There's some good options in there & might help ya out.....

Ride Safe.....

Edit: Ya beat me to it, Gabe.....LMAO!
jane m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008   #6

My helmet ring won't fit into the holder. I also hang my halmet on my right handlebar. I bougth a 1.97 bicycle lock from walmart that has a combination and I run it through my bars and through my helmet. Works great, inexpensive and easily carried in my backpack.
Elvis Parsley is offline   Reply With Quote