Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Am I too tall?

This is a discussion on Am I too tall? within the Rebel forums, part of the Honda category; I'm 6'1" (34" inseam) and I weigh about 190 lbs. I plan on purchasing my first bike within the next ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2008   #1

Default Am I too tall?

I'm 6'1" (34" inseam) and I weigh about 190 lbs. I plan on purchasing my first bike within the next couple months, and the one I keep coming back to is the Honda Rebel 250. The bike looks fantastic and a new one is relatively cheap. As far as riding goes, the bike will be an everyday commuter (just through town), with a few trips to the city now and then (meaning I'd need to get on the highway with it). I'm just curious if any of the taller riders like myself can tell me of their experiences with the bike.

I already plan on making one simple mod, and that's to replace the stock pegs with a pair of Jack's floorboards. Hopefully that can help me out a lil bit. Would there be any other mods I might need to make since I'm a taller rider? Hopefully simple modes since I'm a motorcylce newb.
niceguywithattitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008   #2

Default Am I too tall?

Im 5'10" 33" inseam and the bike fits me ok. The rirst thing i did was purchase a set of dragbars because the stock handlebars didnt allow me to stretch out as much as I like. I have a 2002 and it is a really good bike. Not too fast mine tops out at 83 downhill with the wind behind me but it can cruise at 65-70 all day long. Getting 65-73 mpg. Anyway the bike is a pretty good fit. You should be alright.
hondafmxfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008   #3

Default Am I too tall?

My son is 6'2" with a 34" inseam, and he has no problems riding my Rebel. I think he'd more comfortable on a bigger bike, but never having ridden anything bigger, he's fine on the Rebel.

You might want to also look at the Nighthawk; same engine as the Rebel, but it's a taller bike and with a standard setup, you might find it feels roomier. It's only a few hundred more than the Rebel.

Or a Shadow VLX 600...more expensive, but has more power and the controls are more forward than the Rebel; my husband finds it a better fit (he's 5'9" with a 32" inseam...same as me, but he felt like he needed more leg room.)
hh76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008   #4

Default Am I too tall?

jkersh - Dragbars seem like a good idea and I like the way they look. I'm wondering if I went ahead with those, would I need to get some risers as well (to clear the gastank)? I ask because I've stumbled across your previous thread concerning your dragbars.

Thumper - Good to know that your son fairs well on the rebel :) I did look into the nighthawk because of the higher seat, but I'm honestly not a fan of the bike's look. It just isn't doing anything for me. The shadow is a lil too much $$. Again, the reason why I like the rebel is because it looks cool, its suppose to be a good starter bike, and I can get one new for around $3k. I don't mind doing mods to make the bike fit me a little better... as long as they're not too complicated.
Old 10-26-2008   #5

Default Am I too tall?

I am 6'1" w/34" inseam. I ride a Rebel 450 and have made some simple forward controls. It allows me more leg room and it is a lot more comfortable. I rode it with the pegs in the stock position for 5 yrs before putting her in storage. Was a little cramped on longer trips but great around town. Made the mod after pulling her out of storage this year. I would go with the dragbars for "leg clearance" but you should not have a problem with comfort with some minor mods.
racemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008   #6

Default Am I too tall?

Welcome aboard, skr....

The easiest way would probably be drag bars with dog bone risers for the tank clearance you mentioned. Dog bone risers are relatively inexpensive & you should be able to find 'em easily on eBay.

7/8" bars, you'd have a straight length bar running thru your stock handlebar clamps, dog bones mount on either end of that bar, then drag bars mounting to the top of the dog bones.

The main thing to keep in mind is the actual heigth of the risers. On the 250, I ran Z-bars w/7" rise in the stock clamps & was able to use the stock cables no problem. Swapped those out to Z's w/11" rise & the cables were too taut for comfort. Would have gotten extended cables made, but sold the 250 before getting to that.

Essentially, if you keep the rise at maybe 10" or lower, you should be O.K. without having to deal with cable alterations.
Sketch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008   #7

Default Am I too tall?

jkersh - Dragbars seem like a good idea and I like the way they look. I'm wondering if I went ahead with those, would I need to get some risers as well (to clear the gastank)? I ask because I've stumbled across your previous thread concerning your dragbars.

Thumper - Good to know that your son fairs well on the rebel :) I did look into the nighthawk because of the higher seat, but I'm honestly not a fan of the bike's look. It just isn't doing anything for me. The shadow is a lil too much $$. Again, the reason why I like the rebel is because it looks cool, its suppose to be a good starter bike, and I can get one new for around $3k. I don't mind doing mods to make the bike fit me a little better... as long as they're not too complicated.

I am 5.9 175 32"inseem
The rebel fits good but after like an hour riding I tend to almost jump to the back seat because it kinda feels a little unconfortable.
I did ride the nighthawk at the msf and feels a little more spacious.

As far as the retail price of 3k dont be so sure, I bought mine 2 weeks ago it said $3099 but at the end it was like $3940 with tax plates and some charges they really dont tell you until the end. well mine will be like 5k with the 5 year warranty(wich I think I shoud not have gotten because I dont think it needs more than the 1 year waranty it comes with the bike might be pretty much flawless, and the 36 month leasing cause I needed to build credit ;0(.
hallconner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008   #8

Default Am I too tall?

Snorebaby - I was thinking about making foward controls as an alternative to the floorboards, but I don't know how I'd go about doing that. I've seen pics of the mod, but I'm still confused. Is there a walkthrough on the web somewhere with pics to explain the process? Is there welding involved or anything? I'm not much of a mechanic. The reason I was thinking of going with floorboards is because it seems like an easy enough installation for me, but I think foward controls would actually work out better. Unless there's someone around the seattle area that I could get to do this mod for me?

GearJammer - I actually already checked out drag bars and dog bone risers on ebay, and they're pretty darn cheap :) And the mod seems pretty simple. I don't think I'd worry about going over 10" for the risers. I was thinking just 4" would be fine... 6" max. But from the pics I've seen of the mod, it seems like 6" would obstruct the view of the speedometer too much.

@migo - I actually think I might go the financing route or possibly just get a 2001-2006 bike off ebay for a lil cheaper (as long as its in my area or shipping isn't too much $$$). And I don't think I'd go with a 5 yr warranty considering I already plan on doing a bunch of mods... possibly even taking the metal plate out of the seat so I can slide my but back a lil more.
Old 10-29-2008   #9

Default Am I too tall?

skr.......Another source to keep an eye on is www.craigslist.com and watch for something in your area. As you mentioned, if you find something in your area, that eliminates shipping costs & the prices on Craig's List might be more competitive (less) than eBay, as there aren't any bidding wars to bump up the prices.
Alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008   #10

Default Am I too tall?

skr - I my case there was some welding to make the thickness of the metal and to make the brake and shifter rods longer. It is really a simple process (for me anyway).

I used 1/4" X 2" SS plate (2 peices welded together for 1/2" total thickness). I think the total height of the piece is 3/4". Used the stock brackets to space my holes and actually turned them up on the end to have a more comfortable position as the tops of the pegs are flat. Maybe you can have someone in a machine shop make it. I would not go under 1/2" thick as it is only supported by the bolts where the original pegs were mounted. I can make a mockup out of wood and send it to you if you would like me to. Of course you can change it and make it different....this is only one option to consider.
jerald55 is offline   Reply With Quote