Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Cycle Chaos > Cyclechaos Forums > Manufacturers > Honda > Rebel > chain sprocket, Will it work?

chain sprocket, Will it work?

This is a discussion on chain sprocket, Will it work? within the Rebel forums, part of the Honda category; Hi everyone, Well I found something on E-bay and want to ask if it will work? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...%3AIT&rd=1 Many thanks[/list]...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2008   #1

Default chain sprocket, Will it work?

Hi everyone,
Well I found something on E-bay and want to ask if it will work?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...%3AIT&rd=1

Many thanks[/list]
Bored Enough To Be Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008   #2

septimus:
You need to know what size chain the sprocket takes. Ask the vendor if he knows. your only other choice is to call a Honda dealer somewhere in the UK, and ask them what pitch chain the 125 takes, and then find out if your 250 has the same pitch.
pan4905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008   #3

Well He said that it will fit the rebel, however, will it make it go faster? and will it be any different during long ride? is it ok to alter the sprocket? as mine is 13 cogs ( teeth) iand to change it to 14 cogs?
Many thanks
Bored Enough To Be Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008   #4

Oh, ok. Now I understand the question. Here's what it will do:

1. increase the theoretical top speed of the bike (speed it will achieve before redline in top gear)
2. lower the rpms at a given speed, and so,....
3. improve your gas mileage, and....
4. reduce the amount of torque at lower rpms (i.e. when you are pulling away from a stop), and so...
5. reduce your acceleration at lower speeds/gears, and....
6. the shift markers on your speedo will no longer be relevant (does anyone actually use those things, anyway?)

RE: point 1; recognize that sometimes, with rider weight, big windshield, luggage, headwind, etc, smaller bikes can sometimes run out of grunt (torque) before they reach top speed.

If your main goal is to get better mileage, it will definitely help you there, so long as you don't simply start riding at a higher speed. Any increase in top speed via sprocket change, is achieved at the expense of acceleration, and vice versa.

I don't actually own a 250 rebel, but I have heard rumours that there is minimal clearance within the sidecase for significant increases in sprocket diameter. I'm inclined to believe, though, that there would be room to go from 13 to 14 teeth. You might want to talk to someone who has actually done it. A more common mod, I expect, would be to go to fewer teeth on the rear sprocket (same effect)

Brent
Rockpile is offline   Reply With Quote