Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Cycle Chaos > Cyclechaos Forums > Manufacturers > Honda > Rebel > Distance from foot peg to shifter - can it be modified?

Distance from foot peg to shifter - can it be modified?

This is a discussion on Distance from foot peg to shifter - can it be modified? within the Rebel forums, part of the Honda category; When my foot rests in it's natural position with the arch of my foot on the foot peg the toe ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2008   #1
K L

Default Distance from foot peg to shifter - can it be modified?

When my foot rests in it's natural position with the arch of my foot on the foot peg the toe of my foot barely reachs under the shifter. I have to lift up my foot and move it forward in order to properly shift the bike. Other than trying to train myself to ride with the heel of my foot on the foot peg is there anything simple that can be done? Can the shifter or foot peg be moved to shorten the distance?
K L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008   #2

There's no easy fix. The HEIGHT of the shifter can be changed, but to change the distancefrom the peg, you'll need to do some metalwork. I would think the quickest and easiest fix would be to cut the foot shift lever, shorten, and reweld.

Bear in mind that, in a standard car, each time you want to shift, you remove your hand from the steering wheel and reach about two to three feet to the right to reach the shifter. On the other hand, I can appreciate that you'd like to have the controls as ideally set up as possible.

Buy a used shift lever off ebay, and experiment with shortening it. If it works, mount it on the bike.

Brent
Grizz0844 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008   #3
K L

Thanks Brent,

That exactly what both hubby and my brother said, but I still wanted another opinion.

My brother is a millwright and a biker. He said he could take my existing shifter and modify it. That would put my bike out of commission until he is finished.

I like your idea of getting a shifter off ebay. That way he do the modification without having to use the shifter on my bike.

I'm just concerned about the few seconds it take me to move my foot. Hubby is still concerned about my take offs. I feel like I'm winding the bike out in first gear and I'm not getting it shifted into second quickly enough. Figured if I could lose those few seconds that might make enough of a difference.

Again though maybe I'm rushing things and the shifting will come more naturally and quickly the more I ride. A catch 22.

MJ
K L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008   #4

If you haven't already, you might want to try lowering the shifter a bit and see if that helps. Last week, the nut (and consequently the bolt) that holds my shifter in place fell off my bike...I couldn't downshift because if I did my toes would have been dragging the ground. Fortunately for me, this happened a) while I was stopped and b) about a block from my dealer. When I picked my bike up after they replaced the nut they had readjusted the shifter so that it was way too high for me. I had to lift my foot off the peg and move my foot forward a bit to shift. The next day I stopped by and had them lower the shifter about 3/4 of an inch and it solved my problem. My husband also sat on the bike and he said the guy who originally adjusted the shifter must have had the biggest feet in the world because even he couldn't shift without picking up his foot. Personally I just think they didn't even bother sitting on the bike in the first place.

Gabe
Catalina D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008   #5

Again though maybe I'm rushing things and the shifting will come more naturally and quickly the more I ride. A catch 22.

MJ

before i got my bike, i was already planning on needing modifications to everything . . . i would go sit on the bike in the showroom convinced that this needs to be changed and that needs to be adjusted and blah blah blah . . .

till i actually got my bike and RODE my bike . . i rode it around, back and forth to work for a week . . and then went to my dealer and had them makes some minor tweaks . . . minor . . nothing like what my newbie brain had imagined i needed . . . go figure!

so yeah, i think once you ride and get a good feel for YOUR bike, then you'll know if you really need any extensive mods to it . . . and you still might . . . personally, i just wanted to give myself time to make sure they weren't things that only felt awkward 'cause i was so new to it as opposed to things i only THOUGHT needed changing :)
Miah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008   #6

That is really good advice from Deanna.
Steve Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008   #7

I have a '86 450 and I have to move my foot slightly forward to shift comfortably. The heel of my boot rests against the peg while not shifting and the heel is slightly on the peg when shifting. The boots that I have have a wear pad on them at the point of the joint in the toe (where the toe meets the foot). I am most comfortable shifting there and I feel like I have a good solid "shift". I wear a size 12 boot. Personally, I like the movement. I don't rest my foot under the shifter, as with my big feet, I tend to get "lazy" with it and have accidentally upshifted while resting it under the shifter. The same goes to downshifting. I don't rest my foot ontop of the shifter. I move it to the side between each gear and the heel of my boot is firmly on the peg. It was awkward at first but now with more time riding it is not noticeable and has become second nature.

You can modify the shifter as that is your right as it is your bike. I just thought I would share my style with you. Good luck on your mod if you decide to do it.
HustlerOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008   #8

The type of plates I made to relocate my pegs could be modified to put the pegs anywhere you want. The holes that mount to the frame and the shifter are the same spacing as the original bracket. These were cut out of 1/4" steel but aluminum would work also. The brake side could be shaped more like the shifter side to raise the pegs if you need to.

http://mysite.verizon.net/rcoolbaugh/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/.pond/dcp_1923s.jpg.w560h373.jpg
short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008   #9
TAC

Another thought MJ,
I have 2 pairs of riding boots... One pair works better for me for the Rebel than the other for shifting, braking, etc. You may want to try different pairs of boots/shoes.
TAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008   #10

My wife ran across a prblem with boots, one pair she could not sift with, another pair was perfect. It could very well be a case of the boot :wink:
Pamelaaa is offline   Reply With Quote