Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Cycle Chaos > Cyclechaos Forums > Manufacturers > Honda > Rebel > "Everyone" says that I'll want a bigger bike

"Everyone" says that I'll want a bigger bike

This is a discussion on "Everyone" says that I'll want a bigger bike within the Rebel forums, part of the Honda category; Right now I just can't imagine that. The Rebel seems like just the perfect bike for me. Maybe I will ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2008   #1

Default "Everyone" says that I'll want a bigger bike

Right now I just can't imagine that. The Rebel seems like just the perfect bike for me. Maybe I will feel different next summer but I'm really not convinced.

My sister-in-law started on a Rebel 3 years ago. She just had to have a Harley so my brother and got her a Sportster her 2nd season. It was too much bike for her, she started making silly mistakes, lost her nerve, eventually sold her bike and hasn't ridden except as a passenger since.

I know the Rebel won't go much above 75mph but that really doesn't bother me much. I've never been a speed demon. If I want to ride to work there are lots of back roads. Sides I work 6am to 2:30pm so I don't hit much traffic IF I ever wanted to ride on the interstates.

I know the Rebel might not be the best bike for long trips. Well the ole man (I was told not to call him hubby on any forum :) ) has a HD Ultra Classic and I enjoy being a passenger. Cruising along, listening to the tunes and sightseeing is wonderful.

Why can't I have the best of both worlds? My own bike to tool around town on and HIS bike to take long trips on? Why do I have to move up to a 450 or 600?

It's sort of frustrating. I mean I just got my bike and "everyone" is already telling me I'll want something bigger. Leave me alone already. I like my bike. :)

Seriously though - any thoughts? Are "they" right?

MJ
perplexed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008   #2

It's always a personal call & only YOU get to make that decision.

Many up-grade to something larger because they choose to. Doesn't necessarily mean that they "had" to, it means that they "wanted" to.

But there are some who are perfectly content with the 250 Rebel & have no desire or intention of changing horses. That in & of itself tells me that the Rebel is a viable motorcycle, capable of doing any posted speed limit, capable of making cross-country trips, capable of years & years of accumulated mileage.

There's also others who'll keep the 250 Rebel but will also add another bike(s) to their stable. Nothing wrong with that, either.

If the Rebel suits your personal needs & is tailored for your personal riding habits......what's not to like ? And you're obviously allowed to change your mind in the future. Want something different ? Go for it. Happy with what you've got ? Stand pat.

One of the reasons many of us choose to even ride in the 1st place is due to the expression of individuality that motorcycling affords us. We didn't choose this Lifestyle (for those who have chosen it as a Lifestyle, respecting that not everyone has) to have others tell us what we just HAVE to do. This is readily apparent when you look at all of the personalizations that owners tend to make to their rides. They do it because THEY want to. Same goes for which bike one chooses to ride.
Mike Vespa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008   #3

Yeah, I've been thinking seriously about downsizing to a Suzuki 200 dual purpose (8.5 inch shock travel front and back) bike. I just can't afford the dang thing and haven't seen any used.
SHOBHITA KAPOOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008   #4

Well the ole man (I was told not to call him hubby on any forum :) )
I refer to mine as The Spouse Thingy online :)

You might want a bigger bike next year; you might not. If the Rebel suits 95% of your riding needs you may never get the itch to buy another bike. I was fairly sure that the Spouse Thingy would get that itch within 2-3 months, so when he was looking I pushed him towards the Shadown VLX...and he loves it.

I've ridden it a few times and while it's a nice bike and has terrific power that the Rebel doesn't have, I don't like it better than I do my spiffy little Rebel. Heck, unless we decide to take longer trips using the Interstate, I don't see a valid reason to get a bigger bike...other than the "oooh...that's shiny and new!" factor... :)
karl g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008   #5

People used to say that to me until they rode with me. The rebel can manuver out of spots they have no chance with. By the time we get to the second state they want to turn around and go back. When we stop for gas they put in $10 to my $5. Most people live by numbers and the opinions of others rather those others ride or not and they hear 250 and pretty much dismiss a bike of such low cc. Around here though they all know what a rebel can do now and all have gained respect for it. Nothing like being in iowa with an I love new york bumper sticker on a 250! The only thing other bikes can do better then the rebel is accelerate faster and carry more weight. That's it. The rebel will go just as far and do everything else quite well. I also have a Suzuki S50 (800cc) which I bought for 2up riding and it's a nice bike too, but my Rebel is my number 1 choice for riding solo. The rebel can do a donut inside the S50's donut and it can beat it on any MSF or DMV course. Don't worry about what others think. If your happy with it that's all that matters. The Rebel is a great motorcycle, good on gas, good on maintenance and easy on the wallet. If everyone rode one we'd have a better gas price situation and reduce our consumption enough to kiss OPEC goodbye.
Kjell B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008   #6

They told me that I would upgrade to a bigger bike later, but like many that have previously posted, I have "eye problems" when it comes to getting a bigger bike -- meaning that I can't "see" getting a bigger bike. :D

I also get questions and suggestions that I should get a Harley.

So, it gets frustrating at times, but most of the time, the queries I get are not from the same folks over and over, so I just remind myself that this person has not been told that I am perfectly happy with my motorcycle.

Balisada
pabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008   #7

All interesting responses - thanks!

Think I'll develop "eye problems" also! :lol:
perplexed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008   #8

The Rebel will do long distances with no problems. You will probably want to take the metal plate out of the seat and add more padding. Also you might want to add a trunk in place of the pillion so you have more storage and a backrest.
tacogirl5969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008   #9

For anyone out there that feels the need to take negative comments about your bike at more than face value, memorize the following phrase:

"Put YOUR name on the payment book, registration, and insurance, and I'll ride any bike you want me to."

Garaunteed to shut them up every time.
Horny Sasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008   #10
I H

Agreed. Many "purists" don't dig choppers & think that it's a "sin" to alter a stock motorcycle. My reply is that as long as my name is on the Title, that's all that matters.

The day I buy a bike to suit others is the day I quit riding.
I H is offline   Reply With Quote