Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Cycle Chaos > Cyclechaos Forums > Manufacturers > Honda > Rebel > Finding seat plate removal

Finding seat plate removal

This is a discussion on Finding seat plate removal within the Rebel forums, part of the Honda category; A few days ago I saw on this site someone had taken the metel plate out from under the seat ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2008   #1

Default Finding seat plate removal

A few days ago I saw on this site someone had taken the metel plate out from under the seat and had pictures of it I can't find it now. Anyone know where it is? I want to show it to my husband. Thank's for any help
nighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008   #2

A few days ago I saw on this site someone had taken the metel plate out from under the seat and had pictures of it I can't find it now. Anyone know where it is? I want to show it to my husband. Thank's for any help

http://members.cox.net/holdingpen/plate.jpg
kaleyhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008   #3

That's the culprit.......

There had been a link to a step by step with pics on someone's Free Web Pages, but apparently that page no longer exists. (Found 3 different links to it in the Search, but they're all disabled & looks like his personal website is gone)

Copied & pasted from another thread:

"If you have access to a heavy duty staple gun, you can carefully remove the seat cover, then lift the foam padding. Under the foam is that metal plate that serves no useful purpose other than making people's butts sore, LMAO! Remove the metal plate, use an adhesive to replace the existing foam & then re-staple the seat cover back on & you should be good to go."

Any additional details from others who've done this mod would be helpful & much appreciated......
dluoma43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008   #4

Here's more from "jsonder's" original post:

Posted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 12:38 pm Post subject:

--

spit66 wrote:
Hi. Has anyone replaced the seat on their Rebel for something a little more comfortable - that maybe gives you a liitle more room stretch your legs? There don't seem to be any vendors out there who make Rebel seats...

I wound up removing the metal plate at the back of the seat, and, for me, that alone has been a BIG improvement.

You simply remove the seat; pull staples out to "undo" the seat cover material on the back half of the seat; pull it over the foam ; go in along the seat base (part that mounts onto bike; and "skin out" the dang plate (sort of like filleting a fish to take out the backbone but leave the meat -- you want to lose as little foam as possible).

The plate looks like this when it is removed:

(Edit: For some reason the pic didn't make it thru the copy & paste. The pic was already posted above)

meaness613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008   #5

Thank's giys for all of your help. My husband thinks he may be able to do it . I sure do hope so. If you remove just the back half of the plate what effect will it have?
Old 10-18-2008   #6

Your husband shouldn't have any problems, teesee.

Sorry, but I'm not quite sure what you mean by "just the back half"...in "jsonder's" pic, the plate is the 1/2 moon-shaped piece being propped up against something. You'd really want to remove the entire metal plate. HTH......
Jake F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008   #7

Your husband shouldn't have any problems, teesee.

Sorry, but I'm not quite sure what you mean by "just the back half"...in "jsonder's" pic, the plate is the 1/2 moon-shaped piece being propped up against something. You'd really want to remove the entire metal plate. HTH......

That "something" is my computer for web stuff, and yes the plate is just in the back of the seat.

John (figuring that linux on a Power PC cpu ought to be pretty virus free)
redford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008   #8

ok so the plate is only in the back half of the seat. How will it affect the sitting position on the bike when this is removed. I want to get floorboards to lower the position of my feet so if I remove the plate from the seat will that put me back to the same foot position?I hope I worded this where my question can be understood. :roll:
Old 10-21-2008   #9

ok so the plate is only in the back half of the seat. How will it affect the sitting position on the bike when this is removed. I want to get floorboards to lower the position of my feet so if I remove the plate from the seat will that put me back to the same foot position?I hope I worded this where my question can be understood. :roll:

I know nothing about floorboards :roll:

Removing the plate lets the rider slide his/her butt back a bit to change position when riding. And it makes it less painful (firm) at the back. I suspect that the sitting position is a tad lower than with the plate.
puffyho P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008   #10

I found it allowed my butt to slide back at least 2 inches - based on where my knees were against the tank before and after. That combined with putting the pegs lower and forward a few inches makes the bike feel very comfortable.
Thomas B is offline   Reply With Quote