Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hard shifting

This is a discussion on Hard shifting within the Rebel forums, part of the Honda category; All, Like many other Rebel owners have reported, my Rebel shifts really hard at times. I've changed the oil and ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2008   #1

Default Hard shifting

All,

Like many other Rebel owners have reported, my Rebel shifts really hard at times. I've changed the oil and tweaked the clutch cable, but no joy :(

Before the engine heats up and the oil thins out from the higher temperature, it's much easier to shift. Once it's running good and hot, it's much harder to shift up. Shifting down isn't quite as difficult. If I rev it up a LOT, shifting is easier.

Would it help if I used a heavier oil? Currently, I use 10W-40, and not the kind that's energy conserving or has any additives. Just plain old Penzoil, 10W-40.

Any advice for me?
remo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008   #2

Default Hard shifting

Hi again Patty,

We live in a hot part of the country so I switched to Mobil one synthetic 20-50. We have no shifting problems, besides wanting a sixth gear :roll: :wink: .
It is becoming very hard to find, I'm not sure they didn't discontinue it. That would follow my lucky streak, every time I find something I like they quit making it. :cry:

Dan
johnsonlonnie1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008   #3

Default Hard shifting

been having similar situations I need to rev the engine up enough to make a smoother shift, and going to neutral is a bit dificult. also when downshifting you can hear the clack (sound) alot some times.
I am used to some motorcycles but the dirt bikes and enduros that I used to own never made such a hard noice and neutral was easier to find.
I recently took the safety course in a nighthawk same thing with neutral, dificult to find, dont know about the shifting thing since I only got it to second gear.
maybe its just the way they behave. :)
Christophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008   #4

Default Hard shifting

Dan,

I live in Seattle, so it's pretty cool here most of the time. Maybe a couple of hot weeks in August, but not nearly as hot as the temps that you get in your part of the world.

I read somewhere that a guy is using ATV 4-stroke oil in his Rebel. Don't know if that's a good or bad idea. He claimed that it seems to work well in his bike.
Old 06-08-2008   #5

Default Hard shifting

@migo,

Yeah, I'm beginning to wonder if it's just part of the bike's nature. On the other hand, some people don't seem to have any shifting problems with their Rebels. Go figure... :wink:
Old 06-08-2008   #6

Default Hard shifting

Neutral can be hard to find on a Rebel. I have heard that that is true of Honda's in general. But I've never had trouble shifting up or down on my 250 or 450. (Yes, I have two Rebels.)
mtnbttrfli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010   #7

I just bought a 2009 Honda Rebel and I have worn a blister on my big toe trying to shift up. Any suggestions on making it eaiser?
dstwostep is offline   Reply With Quote