Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Cycle Chaos > Cyclechaos Forums > Manufacturers > Honda > Rebel > Locked Wheel = Brake light on?

Locked Wheel = Brake light on?

This is a discussion on Locked Wheel = Brake light on? within the Rebel forums, part of the Honda category; Hi guys! I bought a 1986 Rebel 450 and it sits there haunting me while I wait until August 18th ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2008   #1

Default Locked Wheel = Brake light on?

Hi guys! I bought a 1986 Rebel 450 and it sits there haunting me while I wait until August 18th to take my class! I tried starting it again the other day and the battery was dead, so yesterday we tried charging it and found a strange problem. When I turn the key left to lock the front wheel, the brake light comes on (and stays on when the key is removed). Okay. So that's what drained the battery...but as I know nothing about bikes yet, I have no idea why this is happening. Any ideas? I'm looking to buy a Clymer Manual on ebay so I will be able to fix anything and everything by myself. I don't want to just have it fixed at a shop. Just thought I'd reach out to some seasoned riders to help a newbie out!

Diana.
T SET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008   #2

I don't have a 450 but there may be 3 key positions on the ignition: off, on and park. It sounds like you're in the PARK position. To lock the front wheel you need to use the steering lock located near the head tube and forks.
squirrel017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008   #3

Yep you had the parking lights on.

Howard
lapuertoricana1658 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008   #4

My wife done that once when I asked her to lock the bike for me. She did it during the day and didn't notice it until she went out to the truck after dark. Luckily it didn't drain the battery too much :) !

The key switch is 90* to the wheel when in the lock position. It's a lesson learned and one that won't soon be forgotten LOL!!
Todd C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008   #5

This feature has been dropped from all motorcycles to the best of my knowledge. The idea was that if you were stopped by the side of the road at night you could leave your tailight on for visibility. It was a safety feature that was seldom used and was the bane of many riders. It is possible to remove the wire from that circuit. I keep meaning to do it, but haven't gotten to it yet.
tuggybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008   #6

Hey guys!

Thanks so much for your help! I'm so glad it was just a mistake on my part and not something wrong with my bike. It's charged now and I'm going to go ride it around my Mom's place tomorrow night. I've only ridden it once for a bit, so I can't wait.

Thanks again!
Diana.
T SET is offline   Reply With Quote