Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Cycle Chaos > Cyclechaos Forums > Manufacturers > Honda > Rebel > Noisy Side Covers

Noisy Side Covers

This is a discussion on Noisy Side Covers within the Rebel forums, part of the Honda category; I notice that the side covers on my 2004 Rebel 250 tend to rattle at some speeds due to the ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2009   #1

Default Noisy Side Covers

I notice that the side covers on my 2004 Rebel 250 tend to rattle at some speeds due to the vibration and looseness of the fit. Does anyone else notice this? Has anyone found a cure for it? ..........or does everyone just put up with it!

Irv
cbrtrixta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009   #2

:shock: I NEVER heard this problem befor.

Howard
Chadne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009   #3

Yup, I notice the same thing on my 2004 Reb. I haven't tried very hard to fix it since it seems to only happen around 2500 RPM and then stop. (Some sort of resonance vibration).
avvacuppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009   #4

Nothing on my 2002. I really dont have any rattles to speak of. I can see where they would rattle if you dont have the double nut adjusted properly.
zvhockey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009   #5

Welcome aboard, Fredr!

Hadn't heard of this problem before, either. Is this something specific to the '04's ? Or as "jkersh" noted, possibly only needs the proper tightening ?

If all else fails, you could probably just take a block of styrofoam, cut one piece (one piece that's sizeable enough to fit without being a hassle to place) that'll fit between the cover & frame, ensuring that the styrofoam touches each inside edge, but still allows for the proper side cover installation without having to apply any undue pressure on the side covers during installation.
MrZip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009   #6

.........I can see where they would rattle if you dont have the double nut adjusted properly.

I have not tried to make any adjustment, but I'll have to look into the double nut that you mention.

Thanks, Irv
cbrtrixta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009   #7

Don't just make the phillips head screw as tight as you can.

After screwing in a turn or two then tighten the nut. I made the mistake of just cranking down on the screw and my cover cracked and I guess they cost like $45 each.
mostro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009   #8

Try and get a hold of a dremal tool and where the cover touches another part, grind or sand down a notch in those spots, should take care of the rattle. Worked for me anyway.
JesJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011   #9

May i suggest you get rubber grommets to fit, that will stop any sort of vibration.
taurus66 is offline   Reply With Quote