Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Cycle Chaos > Cyclechaos Forums > Manufacturers > Honda > Rebel > The Rebel has been maligned

The Rebel has been maligned

This is a discussion on The Rebel has been maligned within the Rebel forums, part of the Honda category; In the July/August edition of Westways (the magazine published by the Southern California AAA), our beloved Rebel has been maligned ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2008   #1

Default The Rebel has been maligned

In the July/August edition of Westways (the magazine published by the Southern California AAA), our beloved Rebel has been maligned as "little more than a minibike." :evil: :evil: :evil: This was in an article about the MSF course which we so often strongly recommend. The article is on page 50.

We can email a letter to the editor at westways@aaa-calif.com or mail a letter to Westways, Auto Club of Southern California, P.O. Box 25222, Santa Ana, CA 92799-5222.

Here is the email that I have sent:
I must object to part of your article on the MSF motorcycle training. No, I do not disagree that motorcycle riders should take such a course. Indeed, I whole-heartedly, even vehemently, agree the the course is very helpful. In fact, I and many others recommend it to every new rider.
No, the problem is not the MSF course. The problem is that your writer maligned the Honda Rebel. That is the bike in the picture of the article. This is the bike that the writer calls "barely more than a minibike."
Excuse me, what minibike can go 75 miles an hour or more and keep up with California freeway drivers. (Yes, I do ride in the fast lane.) What minibike would you take on a cross-country trip, and I do mean from Pacific to Atlantic. This has been done by more than one person.
This attitude that the Rebel is 'barely more than a minibike' is why people buy huge SUV's that will never be off the pavement and may seldom if ever carry more than one person. This attitude is why many motorcyclists are convinced that they need an engine large enough for a small car.
There are many who are convinced that the Rebel is all the motorcycle they want or need. There are many who are convinced that the Rebel is the motorcycle they most enjoy riding. I belong to two forums where a number of members have made those decisions.
I commute to work every day on the freeway on a Rebel. It is a capable motorcycle that has a well earned reputation for being bullet-proof. It is made by Honda and been going strong since the mid eighties. In July a number of southern California Rebel riders will be riding our Rebels from Simi Valley to Solvang and many will travel 50 miles or more on the freeway just to get to the start of the ride.
If the Rebel is "barely more than a minibike" then the Volkswagen Jetta would be barely more than a ... But I will not so malign the Jetta or any Volkswagen, Mazda, Subaru, or Honda.
The Honda Rebel can be all the motorcycle you need, and it gets 70 miles to the gallon while doing it. Instead of maligning the Rebel, you should be encouraging more people to ride it.

Gary Wooster :evil: :evil: :evil:
Lulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008   #2

EXTREMELY well-written response, Gary! And thanx very much for the head's up.

Westways doesn't realize what a hornet's nest they just stirred up, but I've got a feeling that they're going to realize it very soon....... :wink:
waynehardy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008   #3

A Pox on them all! :evil: :evil:
Danny Dix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008   #4

Here's my responce

"Good work bud, The Rebel community is now up in arms and your popularity rating just went below that of GW! As a Rebel owner I have to say your experience with a rebel is very limited. I've riden mine from indiana to new york and back (along with many other states and canada) and I find it a very competent motorcycle. Great quality, great gas mileage, good service record and near bullet proof..

I've ridden for a long time (31 years) have owned 14 motorcycles (includung a 64 panhead and KZ900) and the Rebel is one of my favorites. You do know what the spirit of motorcycling is don't you? Wind in the face, ride free etc...
Perhaps your take on a motorcycle is to just obtain one for other shortcomings you may have and the bigger it is the better you feel about yourself. "

What a wanker that guy is.
Zaphod Beblebrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008   #5

perhaps the author of the article prefers bigger bikes. You know how people say that you will move up to a bigger bike, perhaps the author is a very strong believer in bigger bikes.

Balisada
Julie R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008   #6

LOL - this dude has to be one of "those people" I'm talking about. Glad I don't him personally.
walter chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008   #7

Preferring bigger bikes I can understand. I bought a 450 in addition to my 250 so my pillion prize could come along. But "little more than a minibike" is more insult than I am willing to take.
Lulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008   #8

Well done glw.

Chopper Rick
tystonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009   #9

I too send them a letter, but in all honest is a 234 c.c. Dont get my wrong it is a GREAT bike, I love it, and takes me every where any other bike, no matter of size, could take me. But I think who could be more tolerant of short minded people than think that our beloved rebel is " a little bike"".
Asturcon is offline   Reply With Quote