Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Cycle Chaos > Cyclechaos Forums > Manufacturers > Honda > Rebel > Speedometer accuracy

Speedometer accuracy

This is a discussion on Speedometer accuracy within the Rebel forums, part of the Honda category; Am I correct in understanding that the speedometer on the Rebel is inaccurate? Are they all like that? Can they ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2008   #1

Default Speedometer accuracy

Am I correct in understanding that the speedometer on the Rebel is inaccurate? Are they all like that? Can they be recalibrated to read accuratley? If they are all off why don't they correct them?

Bippie
Jimmy C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008   #2

I don't know if all Rebels are wrong....I know my '86 450 is 5mph off...when doing 55 the speedo reads 60. I have checked it against several other vehicles. I think GearJammer's 450 is also the same way.

Not sure if there is a way to "recalibrate" it. You may get lucky and rotate the gear one tooth to see if that helps. But as long as you know how fast you are going there shouldn't be a problem. I am gonna check that this winter when I tear mine down to do some major cleaning/rechroming and custom paint.
MOLEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008   #3

theres about a 10% tolerance on the speedo. In mileage and speed from what I have seen.
Mum of four boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008   #4

One of these days I'm going to take my GPS for a ride - it gives accurate speed to .1 mph. It does seem that when I'm flowing with traffic in a 55 or 65 zone that my speedo is pretty close though. '06 - Rebel
Lorrene B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008   #5

You're right, Snorey, mine reads 5 mph over actual speed also. Checked it against one of those "This Is Your Speed" signs as I approached it.

Actually, with the speedo reading 5 mph over actual speed, it lessens the worry of a speeding ticket.
flshgordon01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008   #6

I have three bikes, a 2003 VLX, 2004 V Strom 650 and the Rebel - all are off ~5 mph according to my GPS.
On the plus side, I always go 5 mph over the speed limit, which means I am right on it.
Rodney M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008   #7

I have three bikes, a 2003 VLX, 2004 V Strom 650 and the Rebel - all are off ~5 mph according to my GPS.
On the plus side, I always go 5 mph over the speed limit, which means I am right on it.

My GPS shows the same thing, speedo is 5 mph fast.

Howard
Melandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008   #8

The most accurate way to do this is to compare your odometer reading for a 5.0 mile odometer check section on a highway. The Rebels will probably come in with about 5.4 to 5.6 miles if the "about 10% fast" comments are correct. Front tire pressure and "newness" will effect the speedometer reading.

That would mean that at 33 mph indicated, you would actually be doing 30, etc.; so, at cruising speeds you speedometer is probably reading about 6-7 mph high.
npemtiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008   #9

Be aware that the fact the speedometer is not accurate does not necesarily affect the odometer. The speedometer and odometer share the same cable but inside the speedometer their mechanisms are totally different.
The odometer has gears that turn it.
The speedometer has no mechanical connection between the cable and the needle. The speedometer cable turns a magnet that then moves the needle. There is a spring that resists the movement induced by the magnet. Adjusting the tension of the spring will make the needle register a higher or lower speed.
Wayne C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008   #10

Okay, so why in the bloody blue blazes doesn't Honda fix the speedometer so that it reads accurate?

Bippie
Jimmy C is offline   Reply With Quote