Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Cycle Chaos > Cyclechaos Forums > Manufacturers > Honda > Rebel > Windshield & Engine Guard... which ones!

Windshield & Engine Guard... which ones!

This is a discussion on Windshield & Engine Guard... which ones! within the Rebel forums, part of the Honda category; I know that this is a subject thread that constantly resurfaces.... I have used the search engine and read through ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-25-2008   #1

Default Windshield & Engine Guard... which ones!

I know that this is a subject thread that constantly resurfaces....

I have used the search engine and read through the archives....

Still can't make up my mind if I want the Spitfire or the a version of the Memphis Shades (i.e., Pop Top); I like the looks of both, the Spitfire is a little more cost efficient and seems to have a slightly higher profile... however the black tinted Memphis would look sharp on my black Rebel!

I'm not usually the indecisive type!

As for the engine guard it seems that there is basically one that shows up for the Rebel. (I do want to put highway pegs on the engine guard, my knees bother me and being able to change position would be a relief).

Will probably end up ordering through Jack's, have perused multiple web pages in search of Rebel specific gear and accessories... not a whole lot of options and the prices for the most part are all comparable.

Any feedback is appreciated... will probably order things in a day or so.

Bippie[/b][/i]
Elke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008   #2

A lot of the decision about which windshield depends on how tall you are, and how far, if any, do you want to see above the screen. If you're short, the 17" shields would probably do. Taller folks, or those who don't want their face in the wind would maybe fare better with the taller ones, say 21". The shape, tint, etc. is mostly about personal taste.
Amruta B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008   #3

I have the Spitfire (got it from Jack's). What I like about it is it is really easy to put on and take off. Since it's summer, I usually only use it when I know I am gonna take the freeway.
However, my new favorite is this one:
http://home.earthlink.net/~g.teague/id8.html
Best Regards,
NuBiker
harsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008   #4

Nubiker,
Is the National Dakota adjustable for pitch angle? At 5' 6" the height adjustment isn't a critical factor!

Bippie :lol:
Elke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008   #5

my new favorite is this one:
http://home.earthlink.net/~g.teague/id8.html
Best Regards,
NuBiker

I have just about the same thing (they look alike) except mine is a Memphis Shades, mine ie adjustable and easy to remove with the allen wrench that comes with it.

Howard
fabian342h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008   #6

Bippie, looks like it only adjusts up and down.
However, the shield on my VLX- a hondaline shield only adjusts up and down and I was able to get it to work.

Hey Uneasy - that's a nice shield. I might ask for one for Christmas.
I am way overspent on accessories this year, I gotta slow down.

Boys and their toys, LOL.
The Ghost of Sako T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008   #7

You CAN adjust the angle on the Memphis Shades windshield as well as up or down.

Howard
Spinners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008   #8

Bippie,
Something to consider: IF you're wearing a helmet with a visor, as I do, a taller windshield gives you 2 plastic surfaces to have to see through, and the minute scratches which accumulate on them add up in time to decrease the clarity in your visibility. This is especially noticeable in bright sunlight and with oncoming headlights. I installed a windshield on my 250 (bought at the local Honda dealer, but don't remember the brand) which came up about level with my chin. It did a great job for me in reducing the wind, and especially the heavy pelting I take from bugs.

By the way, my 450 came equipped with a streamliner fairing, and it's got more than its share of these minute scratches. It's hard to see clearly through, so I took it off. Does anyone know if there's any way to buff those out or recondition them? It would be a nice fairing for road trips, I think.
snoozie1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009   #9

Most of the national auto parts stores, Autozone, Cragen, Shucks, Advance Auto, Carquest, Napa carry a headlight repair kit. It consists of progressively finer abrasives. It takes some work but should do the trick. Read the instructions on the box to see if this is something you would want to do.

Dan
MRPell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009   #10

dan,

I assume these abrasives are made for use on glass. Have you ever tried them on plastic? Or have you seen them used on plastic? Anybody else? I'll check them out, maybe call the manufacturers and ask thier opinion on it, but it would be useful to know if anyone out there has ever tried this with acrylics. Thanks for the tip.

Mark
Kelly G is offline   Reply With Quote