Moto Morini was founded after the Second World War by Alfonso Morini, who had previously helped to start MM with Mario Mezzetti. Alfonso Morini, born in 1892, began producing a three wheeled truck in 1937. As many manufacturing plants did during WWII, Morini began producing military equipment. The factory was heavily damaged from Allied bombs but was one of the first factories to be rebuilt after the war ended. Morini died in 1969 and the company was left to Morini's daughter, Gabriella, to operate which she did until the company was taken over by Cagiva. The new owners let the name die a natural death as Cagiva concentrated their efforts on one of their other famous marquees, Ducati.
The extremely efficient 500cc V-twin with 'Heron' heads (the piston crown forms the combustion chamber) was debuted in 1975 and proved to be a popular and durable engine. The same engine was also used in ISDT competition as well as production enduro machines which offered excellent performance in a dirt bike. Moto Morini mostly built roadsters and successful racers, including the memorable DOHC 250 on which Tarquinio Provini was runner up in the 1963 world championship. The Bologna, Italy based firm's most famous model was the attractive and fast 344cc 3 1/2 Sport of the mid 1970s. Caviga bought Morini in 1987, and has since used the name very little.