Motosacoche Accacias Geneva
Motosacoche is a defunct motorcycle manufacturer founded in 1899, by Henri and Armand Dufaux, in Geneva, Switzerland. Motosacoche was once the biggest Swiss motorcycle manufacturer.
Motosacoche began producing an auxiliary bicycle engine in 1900. The engine was in a subframe that could be installed into a conventional bicycle.
In 1910 Royal Enfield used Motosacoche 344cc 2.75 hp engines in a successful V-twin model. They are reputed to have supplied Triumph, Ariel, Matchless and Brough Superior with engines at times too, first through H & A Dufaux England Ltd, and then, by 1912, Motosacoche Ltd (GB), with Osborne Louis De Lissa. Motosacoche had factories in Switzerland, France and Italy, and supplied MAG engines to continental manufacturers including Clement, Condor, Imperia, Neander and Monet Goyon.
When the Bol d'Or 24-hour event was first held on the outskirts of Paris in 1922 the winning rider covered more than 750 miles (1206 kilometres) on a 500 cc Motosacoche.
In 1928 Motosacoche made a name in the Grand Prix, with its 350 M 35 OHC racing bike, built by Dougal Marchant, of England, ridden to two European championship titles, 350 and 500, by Wal Handley.
During the 1930s they were beaten in sales by Norton, and went into decline. After WWII, an unusual Marchant designed 200 cc sv was shown in 1947, but not produced. In 1953 Richard Kuchen designed German UT motorcycles were marketed under the Motosacoche name, but this was unsuccessful, and by 1956 motorcycles were no longer produced.