BMW R57: history, specs, pictures

From CycleChaos
Revision as of 18:08, 3 December 2019 by Yamahaguy (talk | contribs)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Bmw-r-57-1928-1930-0.jpg
BMW R57
Manufacturer
BMW
Production 1928 - 1930
Class Classic
Engine
air-cooled,two cylinder boxer, four-stroke
Compression ratio 5.8:1
Top Speed 71 mph (115 km/h)
Horsepower 17.57 HP (13.1 KW) @ 4000RPM
Fuel System carburetor. 24mm bing
Transmission Final Drive: shaft drive (cardan)
Clutch: dry-single plate-cable operated
Suspension Front: leading link
Rear: long swingarm-oil pressure shocks
Brakes Front: expanding brake (drum brake)
Rear: expanding brake (drum brake)
Front Tire 3.50-26.00
Rear Tire 3.50-26.00
Wheelbase 55.12 inches (1400 mm)
Length 82.68 inches (2100 mm)
Width 31.5 inches (800 mm)
Height 37.4 inches (950 mm)
Weight 195.0 kg (wet)
Fuel Capacity 3.17 Gallon (12.00 Liters)
Fuel Consumption 4.20 liters/100 km (23.8 km/l or 56.00 mpg)
Manuals Service Manual

The BMW R57 was a two cylinder boxer, four-stroke standard produced by BMW between 1928 and 1930. It could reach a top speed of 71 mph (115 km/h). Claimed horsepower was 17.57 HP (13.1 KW) @ 4000 RPM.

Engine[edit]

The engine was a air cooled two cylinder boxer, four-stroke.

Drive[edit]

Power was moderated via the dry-single plate-cable operated.

Chassis[edit]

It came with a 3.50-26.00 front tire and a 3.50-26.00 rear tire. Stopping was achieved via expanding brake (drum brake) in the front and a expanding brake (drum brake) in the rear. The front suspension was a leading link while the rear was equipped with a long swingarm-oil pressure shocks. The R57 was fitted with a 3.17 Gallon (12.00 Liters) fuel tank. The wheelbase was 55.12 inches (1400 mm) long.

1928 - 1930 BMW R 57[edit]

The 1928 BMW R 57 has, at its heart, an air-cooled, four-stroke, 494cc, twin cylinder powerplant paired to a four-speed manual transmission and can reach a maximum power output of 18 horsepower at 4000 rpm. This classic machine from the House of Munich had standard fittings such as a plate spring front fork, a rigid rear suspension with a sprung single seat, a rear luggage rack, a small headlamp, laced wheels, a center stand, a front drum brake coupled to a block brake in the rear and a 12-liter (3.3-gallon) fuel tank.