BSA A10 Golden Flash
|Also called||BSA Golden Flash|
|Production||1954 - 1961|
|Bore / Stroke||70.0mm x 84.0mm|
|Horsepower||34.2 HP (25.5 KW) @ 4500RPM|
|Transmission||Final Drive: chain
|Suspension||Front: hydralic telescopic forks
Rear: twin shock
|Brakes||Front: expanding brake (drum brake)
Rear: expanding brake (drum brake)
|Length||83.86 inches (2130 mm)|
|Weight||418.88 pounds (190.0 Kg) (dry),|
|Fuel Capacity||5.02 Gallon (19.00 Liters)|
It came with a 3.25-19 front tire and a 3.25-19 rear tire. Stopping was achieved via expanding brake (drum brake) in the front and a expanding brake (drum brake) in the rear. The front suspension was a hydralic telescopic forks while the rear was equipped with a twin shock. The Golden Flash was fitted with a 5.02 Gallon (19.00 Liters) fuel tank. The bike weighed just 418.88 pounds (190.0 Kg).
Announced in October 1949 the BSA A10 Golden Flash, although sharing a resemblance to the existing BSA 500 twin, was an entirely new design which would form the basis for a range of machines that became highly regarded by enthusiasts. The A10 Golden Flash was joined in 1951 by revised versions of the 500cc twin which adopted its layout and in 1953 the first of the 650cc sports twins, the Super Flash, was introduced, establishing a line that would ultimately culminate in the Rocket Gold Star of 1962.
The early Golden Flash was available in both rigid and plunger framed form, the majority of former initially going to the export markets and two finishes were offered, a beige that reflected the name given to the model and a more traditional black finish which was initially more popular in the British market, although eventually the alternative beige finish supplanted it in popularity at home having always been more popular in export markets. Little changed for the 1952 season other than the provision of a dualseat, however 1953 saw the introduction of a new pivoted fork frame for the A7 and A10 ranges. The new frame was offered alongside the four existing plunger framed models for the 1953 season, but at the end of the year the twin cylinder range was housed exclusively in the pivoted fork frame except for a plunger framed version of the Golden Flash that continued to be available until 1957 aimed at the sidecar buyer.