Honda's reputation for forging new categories in motorcycling takes its latest form in the radical DN-01, a whole new category Honda calls "Crossover." This futuristic machine combines true sporting performance with a fully automatic transmission, a low seat height and exceptional style.
- Powerful four-valve 680cc liquid-cooled V-twin engine.
- HFT transmission is a continuously variable, hydromechanical design that automatically and seamlessly changes drive ratios to produce strong, smooth acceleration. Unlike conventional belt-drive designs, HFT is compact and quiet, no scheduled maintenance and features two automatic modes and a six-speed manual mode with push-button shifting (see Technology Section).
- Low 27.2-inch seat height ensures flat-footed confidence when stopped.
- Large-diameter 41mm front fork and single-shock Pro Arm® Rear Suspension provide a sporting ride on low-profile Z-rated radial tires.
- CBS plus ABS triple-disc brake system for sure-footed braking in varying conditions.
- Beautiful, aerodynamic design provides protection from the elements.
- Compact 680cc liquid-cooled SOHC 52-degree V-twin provides substantial torque and power for everyday commuting and spirited backroad riding.
- Programmed Fuel Injection (PGM-FI, see Technology Section) with twin 40mm throttle bodies and high-performance 12-hole injectors provide excellent throttle response and fuel economy while contributing to low emissions.
- Auto enrichment system is integrated into PGM-FI to optimize the air/fuel mixture on cold starts and eliminates the need for a choke.
- ECU-controlled, closed-loop emissions control system with oxygen sensor manage the air/fuel mixture and reduce exhaust emissions.
- Front-mounted radiator receives ducted air from fairing shroud to maximize cooling.
- 2-into-1 stainless steel exhaust system with chrome-plated triangular-shaped tailpipe is designed to centralize mass for improved handling.
- HFT offers two fully automatic, infinitely variable transmission modes--"D" (Drive) mode for ordinary riding, and "S" (Sport) mode for sharper acceleration. In addition, a push-button-selectable, six-speed manual mode allows the rider to upshift/downshift with the simple operation of left-thumb-activated buttons.
- The ECU-controlled HFT automatically "downshifts" when climbing steep grades to maintain optimum power.
- HFT provides "lock-up" in cruising mode for maximum fuel economy.
- HFT features button-activated mechanical neutral, permitting engine revving when stopped. Mechanical neutral is automatically engaged whenever the engine is turned off, allowing easy maneuverability.
- Sturdy double-cradle steel tube frame provides exceptional strength and bolt-on seat rail simplifies servicing.
- Stout 41mm front fork with 4.2 inches of supple travel and progressive damping.
- Relaxed 28.5-degree rake and 4.5 inches of trail contribute to comfortable, stretched-out riding position and provide excellent straight-line handling.
- Single shock, Pro Arm Rear Suspension (see Technology Section).
- CBS plus ABS braking (see Technology Section) with two lightweight 296mm floating front rotors and a single 276mm rear rotor.
- Handsome, lightweight 17-inch five-spoke cast aluminum wheels with Z-rated 130/70 ZR17 (front) and 190/50 ZR17 (rear) radial tires offer sport-touring traction and comfort in wet and dry riding conditions.
- The DN-01's sleek, aerodynamic bodywork is functional and beautiful.
- Low, polycarbonate windshield allows some air into the cockpit at lower speeds.
- Low 27.2-inch seat height with wide passenger seat provides all-day riding comfort and allows rider to put both feet down at stops or when parking the motorcycle.
- Well-placed mirrors provide an excellent rear view.
- Spacious rider footboards enhance riding comfort without compromising cornering performance.
- Handy one-touch, cable-actuated parking brake.
- White LED-backlit, LCD instrument panel provides multi-segment tachometer and large digital speedometer displays with dual-trip calculator, clock, six-segment fuel gauge and large turn signal and "neutral" indicators.
- Mass-centralized 4.0-gallon dual-compartment fuel tank with 0.8-gallon reserve.
- Dual-element headlights provide right-side low-beam operation--just like Honda CBR® models—while both beams illuminate in high-beam mode. A brilliant multi-segment LED taillight is integrated into the rear cowl.
- Widely spaced turn indicators are mounted on rearview mirrors for style and function.
- Detachable seat provides storage for a U-lock. (Lock not included.)
- Transferable one-year, unlimited-mileage limited warranty; extended coverage available with a Honda Protection Plan.
- When you buy a new Honda Powersports Product, you may be eligible to receive a complimentary one-year membership in the Honda Riders Club of America®, which includes an exclusive Members-only magazine, rider training benefits, access to the Members-only Clubhouse Web site and much more. Some limitations apply. For more information on the HRCA®, log on to hrca.honda.com.
Available Honda Genuine Accessories
- A Custom-Styled Backrest for extra passenger comfort.
- Rugged, full-coverage Body Cover.
- Center Cowl Cover (chrome or carbon fiber) to protect fuel tank.
- Gold Emblems - Kit includes gold colored 3-D badges (two "DN-01" and two "Honda" emblems).
Colors include Candy Dark Red and Black.
|Motorcycles: CB series | CBF series | CM/CMX series | CX Series | CBR series | NSR series | CR series | Pacific Coast | XR/XL series | Bros/HawkGT | VF/VFR series | VT series | VTX series | ST series | Valkyrie series | GL series| NR series|
|Mopeds and light motorcycles: Ape models | Cub series | CT series | ST series/Dax | S series |Wave series | Z series|
|Production||2005 - 2014|
|Bore / Stroke||81.0mm x 66.0mm|
|Horse Power||59.14 HP (44.1 KW) @ 7500RPM|
|Torque||47.21 ft/lbs (64.0 Nm) @ 6500RPM|
|Fuel system||injection. pgm-fi with automatic enrichment circuit, 40mm throttle bodies and 12-hole injectors|
|Ignition type||digital transistorized with electronic advance|
|Transmission||Gear box: 6-speed |
Final Drive: shaft drive (cardan)
|Suspension||Front: 41mm telescopic fork with 4.2 inches travel |
Rear: pro arm single-side swingarm with single shock, seven-position spring preload adjustability
|Brakes||Front: double disc |
Rear: single disc
|Wheelbase||63.19 inches (1605 mm)|
|Dimensions||L 91.34 inches (2320 mm)|
W 32.87 inches (835 mm)
H 43.9 inches (1115 mm)
|Seat height||27.2 inches (691 mm)|
|Weight||469.58 pounds (213.0 Kg) (dry), 269.0 kg (wet)|
|Fuel capacity||3.96 Gallon (15.00 Liters)|
|Fuel consumption||4.00 litres/100 km (25.0 km/l or 58.81 mpg)|
|Tech Specs · Brochures · Reviews · Ads · Videos|
The Honda DN-01 was a v2, four-stroke Concept motorcycle produced by Honda between 2005 and 2014. Max torque was 47.21 ft/lbs (64.0 Nm) @ 6500 RPM. Claimed horsepower was 59.14 HP (44.1 KW) @ 7500 RPM.
The bike has a 6-speed transmission. Power was moderated via the Automatic.
It came with a 130/70-zr17 front tire and a 190/50-zr17 rear tire. Stopping was achieved via double disc in the front and a single disc in the rear. The front suspension was a 41mm telescopic fork with 4.2 inches travel while the rear was equipped with a pro arm single-side swingarm with single shock, seven-position spring preload adjustability. The DN-01 was fitted with a 3.96 Gallon (15.00 Liters) fuel tank. The bike weighed just 469.58 pounds (213.0 Kg). The wheelbase was 63.19 inches (1605 mm) long.
2005 Honda DN-01
Honda introduced the DN-01 automatic cruiser motorcycle at the 2005 Tokyo Motor Show, which aside from its futuristic look, fields a new and unique transmission, that can switch from manual mode to automatic operation whenever the rider wants it. The DN-01 concept is equipped with a continuously variable automatic transmission and a water-cooled, 4-stroke, OHC, V-type, 2-cylinder, 680cc engine.
2008 Honda DN-01
The DN-01 is a crossover bike which brings together elements from more than one segment. unique and with an unmistakeable design, the DN-01 is part cruiser, part sport bike, with an exquisite bodywork and a riding position which harks back to the scramblers of yore. Its middleweight engine brags of efficiency and manageability, while the automatic transmission makes this bike stand from the crow.
A bike well ahead of its time, it's really sad that it is no longer manufactured. However, its spirit carries on, as the DN-01 stood at the base of developing the modern Dual Clutch Transmission machines.
2009 Honda DN-01
Honda released the new DN-01 crossover bike in Japan and Europe in 2008 and in the US in 2009. This motorcycle features a v-twin 680cc engine linked to an HFT(Human Friendly Transmission) system which consists of a continuously variable transmission and a hydro-mechanical automatic system. It has 2 automatic modes, (D) drive and (S) sport plus a 6 speed push button manual mode. The HFT has a lock up mode for cruising to increase fuel economy. The DN-01 also has combined ABS, a front and rear linked system with ABS. This motorcycle's fuel tank can carry 4 gallons of fuel. Honda classed this motorbike as a scooter/motorcycle crossover.