New Imperial were among the most innovative of the British manufacturers with a history stretching back into the late 19th century and, by 1936, a total of six TT wins, all bar one in the two-fifty class, the exception being their win in the 1924 three-fifty class to complete a double with their two-fifty win.
Throughout the nineteen thirties they offered machines incorporating features that would not become industry standards until the 1950's and 1960's, these being the adoption of the fully sprung frame and unit construction of the engine gearbox. The latter with primary drive gears.
For the 1937 season all of the models above 150cc were equipped with the sprung frame and twin port heads. The Model 46 was available with a choice of ignition systems: a mag-dyno was standard fitment, or the buyer could opt for a Maglita or coil system. Standard equipment also included a hand gear-change, although a de luxe version equipped with a foot change was available.