Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Cycle Chaos > Cyclechaos Forums > Manufacturers > Harley Davidson > going from a 250CC to a Harley...good idea...or not?

going from a 250CC to a Harley...good idea...or not?

This is a discussion on going from a 250CC to a Harley...good idea...or not? within the Harley Davidson forums, part of the Manufacturers category; Hey guys, I'm thinking way ahead of myself. But I've got the bike bug, and I can't help it :D ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2007   #1

Default going from a 250CC to a Harley...good idea...or not?

Hey guys,

I'm thinking way ahead of myself. But I've got the bike bug, and I can't help it :D

I'm pretty sure I've already decided what my ultimate bike will be...a Dyna Street Bob. I honestly have the hots for that bike. Vintage look meets bobber...LOVE IT! Oh, and in red hot denim, thank you...it's hot! Everything I've read about this bike has been awesome. It's fun to ride, corners well, but cruises beautifully too. I especially like it's mid-controls for comfort. This baby's got everything I'm looking for!

However...I'm still learning on my little 250cc Suzuki Marauder, so it might be a little while before I decide to upgrade. Is it advisable or a good idea at all to go from a small bike to an even bigger one, (like a Dyna!)? Or should I think about getting some other mid-sized bike in between?

My logic behind this, is that I'll be more comfortable with the weight and power of a heavier bike when I do move on to an H-D.

I talked to a salesperson at an H-D dealership just yesterday who thinks I should just for the H-D when I'm ready. Of course he does

What do you guys think? Does buying a bigger bike in the meantime sound like a good idea, or a fat waste of money and time?

pastranarocks199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007   #2

Test drive the Street Bob and see how you handle it.
ryokoware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007   #3

Test drive the Street Bob and see how you handle it.

Demo days at Harley are great for this. Renting one for a day is even better.
shawn p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007   #4

I would get the one I want. I love that bike too. Good choice.
Old 07-27-2007   #5

Once you get your head wrapped around riding the 250, you shouldn't have a problem moving up to the Dyna. It will be a lot heavier of course, but with a little practice you should be fine.
Old 07-27-2007   #6

Just do it...if you been riding for awhile you are ready and you just dont know it.
Old 07-28-2007   #7

Good idea.
Old 09-01-2011   #8

it will be a big weight diffrence i started out on a yamaha 175 then jumped to my dads 1100 vt shadow spirt big diffrence not really in torq becuse his is shaft drive but in weight but with the expierience from the 175 was easy to ride now i ride a yamaha 400 special 2 n i love it even tho it is a small bike it keeps up with the 1100 n 1200 bikes i ride next to n its a blast but u do have a good choice in the bike u want they r a blast my boss has one
travisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011   #9

I agree with the other replies. Initially the bigger bike will seem intimidating. If you have not had close calls om the smaller bike and are physically able to handle the larger bike go for it by all means. After riding the bigger bike for awhile your 250 will seem like a toy.
recycledcycles is offline   Reply With Quote