Register
Join Cyclechaos! Motorcycles Wiki Forum Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Cycle Chaos > Cyclechaos Forums > Manufacturers > Harley Davidson > Why do Harley riders only wear half helmets?

Why do Harley riders only wear half helmets?

This is a discussion on Why do Harley riders only wear half helmets? within the Harley Davidson forums, part of the Manufacturers category; Is it like against Harley law to wear a full faced helmet like other motorcyclists. For that matter will you ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2008   #1

Default Why do Harley riders only wear half helmets?

Is it like against Harley law to wear a full faced helmet like other motorcyclists. For that matter will you be laughed out of the posse if you don't have a tat?
race goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008   #2

the way they see it is they would rather die than live and see there harley mangled in an accident haha
Phillip P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008   #3

for better vision and hearing side to side. also less weight and of course they look better
jim e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009   #4

First off, we dont have posses'. That is gen x modern lingo that we don't subscribe to.The half helmt has it's roots in the mandatory helmet laws, which the vast majority of us oppose. Don't get me wrong, we are not all opposed to helmets, we are only opposed to being told we have to. There is a Motorcycle Rights Organization called ABATE, American Brotherhood Against Totalitarian Enactments. It was started in 1973 by Easy Rider Magazine. There are now ABATE groups in each of the 50 states, and many chapters in each state. Now a days we deal wtih lots more than just the helmet issue but that is where we got our roots.We wear the half helmet because of the poor way the laws are written that allow it, because many of us would rather ride without. The fact that you see people riding with half helmets tells me you live in one of the states that still have helmet laws and don't let those who ride decide.Tats are an individual thing. I know a lot of hard core 1%er bikes that don't have tats, I know posers that have full sleeves. I have 13 tats, it has nothing to do with being a biker more than half my life. Each tat was put there during a time in my life that needed some form of tribute and rememberance. They are personal to me, not just decorations. Most guys I know and hang with are the same way.First it was helmet laws, now they are trying to go after loud pipes and lots of other things that unfortunately the sport bike crowd ignores. The"old harley riders"are the only ones out there fighting for motorcycle rights and trying to correct the wrongs.So, the half helmts are just a protest. I remember back in the 70s and 80s when we didn't have to wear helmets. Wind in your hair, you can hear and see better. You can smell things other than your own breath inside the helmet.oh, and while you with full face helmets are getting that false sense of security from it. Did you know even the best are only rated to a crash of about 14mph impact? And I'm certain you have no idea how many broken necks they are responsible for either.Yea yea yea, riding without one is dangerous. News flash, being on a motorcycle in general with a bunch of bone heads that don't watch for us in cars is dangerous anyway, shouldn't we have the choice.Half helmets are just an attempt to smell the grass and hear what's coming up behind and along side us and a in your face protest at being told we"have to do"something.
BikerJoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009   #5

i see alot of h-d rider wearing full face it up to the rider in illinois no helmet law but metric guys don't wear helmets either
honda vtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009   #6

I ride a Harley and wear a full face helmet.
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009   #7

Dont let the Goddess BS go to your headYou wear whatever color training bra you want we wear whayever helmet we wantI dont wear any kindGet on your Scooty dress up like Robo Cop and dont worry about it
indianjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianjohn View Post
Dont let the Goddess BS go to your headYou wear whatever color training bra you want we wear whayever helmet we wantI dont wear any kindGet on your Scooty dress up like Robo Cop and dont worry about it
What are you trying to say?!
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012   #9

i have seen many davidson riders wearing a full helmet....
so there is no point in this
but maybe some riders wear half helmets to look cool or maybe for their comfort
its their personal choice :)